- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
At Golder, we thrive on challenges.
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.
Do you have the desire to learn? The drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment?
Intermediate Tailings Engineer
This is an Intermediate level position in the consulting team and is regarded as a professional person in the delivery of geotechnical services, in line with the Golder suite of engineering products.
Responsibilities of the role will include:
Functional Output / Duties
Provide technical advice and consultancy on complex Tailings issues to clients (external & internal)
Develop client relationship and build business
Negotiate and review routine project contracts
Use advanced techniques, modifications and extension of theories, practices to synthesise and analyse data for decision making/ recommendations
Build reputation as Technical Consultant / Specialist
Keep abreast of advancing technologies, methods and research & development
Manage, analyse and Tailings reporting for projects which may include the following:
- Design and inspection of main storage facilities
- The means of construction of tailings deposits.
- The operation and management of deposits.
- The properties and behaviour of tailings.
- Closure & deposits stability and seeping analysis.
- Water Storage dames and earth works.
Provide safety leadership in Health & Safety (OH&S incident reporting)
Participate in training activities, mentoring and transferring knowledge to junior geotechnical engineers.
Plan, develop schedules, coordinate and direct manpower on important engineering projects to meet completion deadlines.
Supervise, coordinate and review/evaluate activities carried out by junior engineers.
Prepare proposals and reports for clients
Other duties as required
Project Management & Technical Expertise
Continued development of key skills in Project Management
Participation in professional development activities
Continued professional development in support of professional registration
Develop ownership culture
Promote and develop inter-region and inter-office collaboration and cooperation
Contribute towards a healthy team mentality among peers
Work with management to deliver on Golder priorities
Business Development (Internal and external Clients)
Identify potential business opportunities / clients for Golder services
Follow up and act on market trends and engineering development
Follow engineering business development plan
Participate and promote Golder Africa's business systems
Participate in the development and implementation of engineering systems, tools, policies and protocols in line with Engineering Business Unit
Be an active part of the Golder team, operational best practice and Balance Score Card
Innovative and Technical Excellence
Identify and implement opportunities to apply Golder engineering expertise
Implement Projects that contain elements of the core Golder engineering expertise
Promote & develop new technical services and/or tools
Positive financial contribution
Execute projects in accordance with Golder's financial target in terms of profitability
Manage debtors in accordance with Golder targets
Health & Safety
Promote Health & Safety systems and program priorities
Act as a custodian of Golder's Health and Safety best practice
Health and safety performance indicators in line with Golder targets
The successful candidate will have a background in:
Relevant Degree in the Geotechnical / Civil Engineering
Professional Registration at ECSA preferred
6 years plus experience post graduation
Legislation related to Engineering / Geotechnical environment
Experience at a consulting firm
Project Management Skills
MS Word, MS Excel (Advanced), MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook, MS Projects
- The employee has an increased level of specialist skills in technical discipline area, strong project management skills, or a mix of both.
- Displays independence in completing work tasks.
- Makes decisions of moderate complexity with less frequent input and review from senior staff.
- Major focus is leadership of technical excellence or project management for larger and more complex projects with less supervision required.
- Provides technical direction to junior and intermediate staff.
- Is responsible for completion of reports / documents and proposals with senior review.
- Understands Golder business systems and uses / follows these systems to ensure quality.
- Is recognised as a role model / mentor for junior staff.
- This is the first level having more regular contribution to group or team goals and planning.
- Motivates and encourages junior and intermediate staff to achieve results.
- Has regular contact with clients and manages client expectations.
- Employees focus on setting a positive example by identifying and reporting hazards, near misses and incidents.
- Displays a 'safety first' focus.
- Employees actively raise safety issues to the attention of peers, contractors and visitors and assist in seeking resolution to the issues identified.
- Communicates clearly and consistently the importance of health and safety and recognizes those who show the right behaviours.
- Standards / Processes / Procedures.
- Trusted project manager: consistently manages projects and / or tasks well, wants to expand project management abilities to include larger multi-disciplinary projects, able to communicate with teams, can bridge project director to junior staff
- Client focused: being more of a "solution" provider to client and colleagues than "deliverable" provider, comfortable with being the face of Golder, point of contact, ability to develop business and cross-sell
- Ownership Attitude: promotes the broader organisational strategy, makes decisions with the company's best interests in mind
- Good judgement: ability to prioritise challenges, competing interests in our business (i.e. time vs. costs vs. quality)
- Mentoring: informal guidance and career development of junior staff
- Technical excellence: creating an area of technical speciality or service, highly skilled and respected in their field, participates in on-going training and conferences.
- Good problem solver: able to frame and communicate complex issues into simple tasks.
- Corporate awareness : actively supports corporate initiatives, understands how Golder works.
- Influential: are known beyond their team and people seek their input or involvement
- Networking : establishes good relationships with clients and staff, builds wide and effective networks
- Leadership: is emerging as a leader, has the ability and desire to lead small teams, actively supports corporate initiatives and promotes Golder's culture
Your benefits at Golder will include:
- Employee owned structure - own the business, own the result
- Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
- Opportunity to deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment
- Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects
- On the job training, mentoring and coaching
Closing Date: 24 October 2019
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder is a leading, global employee-owned engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 30 countries, Golder's 6,500 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and power sectors.