- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
At Golder, we thrive on challenges.
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.
Do you have the desire to learn? The drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment?
Golder has a new opportunity for a Geotechnical Engineer to join our Central Operations team in a Full-Time position at our Houston, Texas office to work as part of a team on civil, geotechnical and environmental engineering projects. In this role you will have the opportunity to perform geotechnical evaluations and calculations, write technical documents, conduct subsurface investigations, and provide field monitoring, testing, and sampling for a variety of projects. Assignments may include travel to remote locations and outside work in various climates.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Scope, budget, execute, monitor and interpret subsurface exploration programs, with direction and support from senior staff;
- Monitor and log test borings, including visual-manual classification of soil and rock materials and preparation of boring logs using various logging software programs;
- With support from senior staff, install and monitor geotechnical instrumentation systems, assist with writing technical reports, design memoranda, field reports, design drawings, cost estimating documents, project specifications, and permit documents;
- Assign, review and interpret the results from geotechnical laboratory testing programs;
- Perform geotechnical calculations and analyses related to the interpretation of subsurface conditions, soil mechanics, rock mechanics, foundation engineering, and seepage and slope stability evaluations;
- Perform geotechnical analyses using computer models for pile and drilled shaft foundation capacities, embankment/slope stability evaluations, earth retaining structure designs, and foundation/embankment settlement assessments;
- Prepare geotechnical data reports, geotechnical engineering reports, and supporting engineering calculation packages;
- Develop geotechnical recommendations for engineering designs with senior review.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in civil engineering
- FE/EIT certification or ability to obtain within 1 year
- Ability to work independently as well as within a project team
- Collecting field data and overseeing subcontractors
- Ability to lift and carry heavy equipment (at least up to 50 pounds)
- Ability to plan and execute field programs with knowledge of proper sampling techniques
- A willingness to travel locally, nationally and internationally, with possible frequent, shorter-term travel and some longer-term travel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Masterâ€™s or doctoral degree with a geotechnical engineering focus
- At least 1 year of experience in a consulting practice
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, AutoCAD, and gINT
- Experience with geotechnical engineering software, such as GeoStudio, Slide, Shaft, Apile, Lpile, Group, Pywall, GRL WEAP, and Plaxis
Your benefits at Golder will include:
- Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
- Option to purchase shares in Golder
- Employee owned structure - own the business, own the result
- Deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment
- Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects
- On the job training, mentoring and coaching
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder is a leading, global employee-owned engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 30 countries, Golderâ€™s 7,000 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique and specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and power sectors.
Equal Opportunity Employment Statement
Golder is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Golder is a background screening, drug-free workplace.
To learn more about our company and culture click here to view The Promise of Golder video.