- Waste Connections, Inc.
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
Waste Connections of Canada, the leader in non-hazardous solid waste management in North America is looking for a District Manager (DM) to lead the operations at our hauling facility in Barrie, ON. The Barrie district is the heart of our waste collections services in northern Ontario. The DM will support and lead 5 direct reports who collectively lead a team of 200 employees, responsible for 115 routes that serve the needs of our commercial and residential customers in the communities of Barrie, Simcoe County, parts of Newmarket and south to Highway 9.
We are looking for a SAFETY inclined, energetic, autonomous and proactive Servant Leader capable of making and creating change through our core values.
Reporting to the Divisional Vice President (DVP), the District Manager (DM) is accountable for: developing a strategic operations plan, forecasts, monitors and reports district financial results through the deployment of the Waste Connections of Canada operating model and metrics. The DM leads their team to achieve and exceed safety targets, grows sales, optimizes working capital, manages processes and most importantly of all, develops and supports their people.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement procedures and systems for employees to operate in a safe, efficient, and cost effective manner;
- Full P&L responsibility;
- Develop strategic operations plan with longer term facilities/capital needs to support growth strategies;
- Develop annual business plan and budget targets;
- Adjust and monitor staffing requirements and costs adjustments to meet customer service expectations and productivity targets;
- Approve and monitor safety initiatives and incentives to meet targets;
- Negotiate or guide negotiations of disposal and transportation (to landfill) costs and third party transfer station arrangements to optimize tons to landfills;
- Monitor carryovers and customer initiated feedback to optimize customer service levels;
- Approve and monitor sales plans, including territory planning, productivity metrics, sales tracking and sales structure;
- Review new/lost business, service increases/decreases and impact on margin and volume with sales manager;
- Implement organizational structure and succession plans designed to meet business plan and people development objectives;
- Provide training, coaching, goal setting and reviews of direct reports to optimize performance;
- Negotiate Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA) and ensure proper administration;
- Review and approve District Controllers monthly forecasts and other reports required by corporate office;
- Identify strategic acquisition candidates and negotiate transactions;
- Ensure appropriate plans in place to facilitate integration and to meet pro-forma targets;
- Identify potential business partners, e.g. third party transfer stations and negotiate partnership/joint venture agreements to assist in meeting plan goals;
- Participate in industry conferences, associations and other networking venues as appropriate;
- Develop relationships and liaise with key partners in municipal government e.g., mayor, waste division. Understand landscape, deal with emerging issues and address environmental and waste concerns.
- Minimum 10 years' experience in a senior operations management and/or sales management role;
- Prior transportation/logistics experience is asset;
- Post-secondary degree, preferably in business/commerce;
- Excellent planning, strategy and analytical skills;
- Highly developed leadership and entrepreneurial skills;
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills;
- Proven track record in meeting business plan objectives.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Work performed in an office and field environment; includes walking regularly throughout the work day.
- Frequent use of the telephone and computers in performing the job duties.
- Occasional travel by airplane and automobile in conducting business is necessary.
What's In It for You?
You will be joining and serving in a team environment and colleagues who embrace a "work hard, play harder" culture.
Our compensation package is competitive, and comes with excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, RRSP plans.
You'll also be associating yourself with a company that likes to lead by example, through a strong presence in our local communities, charitable giving, sustainability initiatives and more.
Waste Connections of Canada/Enviro Connexions is an Equal Opportunity Employer.