Biologist - Environmental
- Job Category
- Science and Research
- Job Type
GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people deliver projects with excellent standards of safety, quality and ethics.
We offer a professional and friendly culture based on our core values of Safety, Teamwork, Respect and Integrity. We also provide attractive career and professional development through the GHD Business School.
Our Vancouver, BC office is looking for a Biologist to join our growing Canadian Operations.
You must be enthusiastic about the outdoors and maintain an active outdoor lifestyle. You will be an important team member of our Canada west natural sciences team. This role is a combination of fieldwork, project management and team leadership while collaborating and supporting projects locally, nationally and internationally. This is a full-time position with opportunities for advancement and partnership.
- Conduct terrestrial and/or aquatic field programs in an accurate and complete manner using industry standard protocols, regulatory guidance and best management practices
- Experience in project management
- Strong technical writing skills
- Experience collaborating closely with clients, First Nations, and government agencies
- Work independently and supervise junior staff
- Provide environmental over site, work independently
- Assist in the development of proposals, field work-plans, reporting and design drawings as well as permit authorizations
- Work with peers, intermediate and senior staff in all aspects of project work
- Coordinate equipment and resources
- Data compilation and interpretation, evaluation of environmental regulations, preparation of environmental reports, and regulatory submissions
- Review and interpretation of provincial and federal acts and regulations
- Some travel to sites throughout British Columbia and Alberta
- Providing accurate and complete field notes using traditional and digital capture methods;
- Data entry and data management;
- Handling and disposing of samples and sampling equipment weighing up to 50lbs
- Travelling (generally within the province) will be required – an estimated 50% of time will be out of the office (dependent on project and seasonal requirements);
Skills and Qualifications:
- 6+ years of relevant experience, preferably in a consulting environment
- Degree in Biology or Natural Resource Management
- Post-graduate degree in related field an asset
- R.P. Bio designation
- Experience as a team leader
- Ability to lead and mentor team
- Project Management skills
- Experienced with vegetation and wildlife assessments
- Experienced in fish and fish habitat assessments
- Experience with provincial environmental permitting under the Environmental Management Act, Water Sustainability Act and Wildlife Act
- Experience with federal permitting under the Fisheries Act, Species at Risk Act, Impact Assessment Act, Navigable Waters Protection Act
- Experience completing Site surveys using traditional survey methods and real-time kinematic (RTK) global positioning system (GPS) units an asset
- Exceptional attention to detail, ability to provide accurate field and data records
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings/plans
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and communicate rationale
- Self-motivated and able to lead multiple tasks
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Great teammate, cooperate with all staff
- Ability to meet all timelines
- Motivated to learn and contribute to a growing team
- Comfortable working for extended durations throughout all seasons and during inclement/adverse weather conditions
- Must hold a valid driver’s license
We offer a professional working environment and culture and a competitive salary package based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.