- Halton Healthcare
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
Position: Program Assistant
Department: Mental Health
Hours: Mondayto Sunday -- Various rotating 12 hour shifts (Hours are subject to change based on operational needs)
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, Halton Healthcare is committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions.
This is what you’ll be doing:
- Provide appropriate-level of patient observation/supervision based on nurse/physician assessment.
- Alert the assigned nurse about changes in patients presentation.
- Document observations required by physician orders (such as continuous observation, Q15 etc.)
- Carry out routine patient checks ensuring patients are safe and not showing signs of escalation or symptoms of distress (report signs if detected to nurse right away).
- Accompany patients for transfers and appointments inside and outside of the hospital.
- Support patients and clinical staff in ward activities and routines.
- Provide recreational based activities to decrease agitation and increase patient engagement.
- Assist in admissions and discharges/transfers.
- Assist and supervise patients during dining room service.
- Participate in Program-related committees.
- Ensure patient belongings are appropriately stored and organized at admission, transfer and discharge.
- Monitor patients going on/off unit.
- Answer phone calls when needed and contacting other departments if needed.
- Answer patient or family inquiries if possible.
- Demonstrates competency in chosen profession; consistently demonstrates knowledge and expertise in professional practice and hospital-based standards
- Demonstrates being patient and consumer focus; makes a commitment to meet or exceed the needs of all internal and external customers
- Demonstrates being a team player; interacts with co-workers, physicians, volunteers, patients and their families in a way that demonstrates that everyone involved in patient care is valuable
- Demonstrates being a strong communicator; listens for clarity and meaning, and to speak in an honest and straightforward manner to ensure mutual understanding in a conversation
- Demonstrates caring and respect; treats each and every coworker, patient or family member with understanding and kindness and hold in high regard and respond appropriately to the needs of self and others
This is what you’ll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Ability to physically intervene and perform patient restraints as per hospital policy
- Post- secondary diploma in a related field required
- Observation skills
- Demonstrated understanding of mental health issues and challenges faced by mental health patients.
- Demonstrated experience with patients who may have escalated or agitated behaviors and/or fluctuating mental status.
- Demonstrated skills with conflict resolution and de-escalation techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to be respectful, nurturing, recovery-oriented and empathetic with patients and their families.
- Strong verbal and written communication.
- Current First Aid and CPR
- Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behaviour Course (Crisis Prevention Institute-CPI) within 6 months.
- Working knowledge of computers and Microsoft office
Date Posted: August 25, 2020
Internal Applications due by:September 1st, 2020
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.ca directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products, We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.