TPT - Unit Clerk - Maternal Newborn
- Halton Healthcare
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
Position: Unit Clerk
Department: Maternal Newborn
Status: Temporary Part-time until approx. December 2021 (must provide availability up to a 0.5 FTE).
Hours:Various rotating8 hour shifts, days and evenings (subject to change based on operational requirements)
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions. We are a distinctive centre of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
The Milton District Hospital expansion is being built to meet the increasing care needs of Canada’s fastest growing community and accommodate new technologies that are changing the way hospital care is delivered. The expansion will provide Milton residents with improved access to the hospital services they need, close to home.
Construction began in June 2015 and is expected to be completed in Spring 2017. The expansion is anticipated to open for patient care in Fall 2017.
This Unit Clerk position supports the Maternal Newborn unit. This Department provides care designated as Level 2A Maternal Unit.
- Level 2A Maternal care: This includes care for pregnancies 34 weeks and greater, care for uncomplicated twin pregnancies, availability of Labour/birth/recovery/post-partum (LBRP) care for low risk women meeting specific criteria, dedicated postpartum bedrooms, and an operative birthing suite and recovery room on the unit. The Community Midwives of Halton provide midwifery care.
The Maternal Newborn program has 9 LBR/LBRP birthing rooms, 1 Recovery Room, 1 Operative Birthing Room, 14 postpartum rooms, availability of antepartum rooms.
This is what you’ll be doing:
Duties will include a variety of reception and clerical functions including registering patients; answering telephone;completing requisitions; transcribing doctors' orders; scheduling appointments; ordering and maintaining inventory of supplies; filing; data entry on computer system;staff scheduling.
- Registers patients using Meditech software
- Registers newborns with Service Ontario
- Enters lab orders in Meditech
- Transcribes physician orders
- Validates healthcare coverage
- Validates appropriate insurance information and obtains required signatures from patient or family members
- Obtains required information and payment method for uninsured patients and accurately enters all required data
- Admits patients following established protocols and collaboration with nursing unit staff regarding bed allocation
- Updates information in McKesson Visibility in collaboration with the Clinical Resource Nurse
- Creates and closes treatment records
- Answers telephone
- Addresses inquiries from the public, family and hospital staff
- Completes various clerical tasks/audits as required
- Assembles charts
- Works with accommodation staff to identify opportunities to meet patients preferred accommodations
- e-Schedule entries, edits and staffing calls as necessary
- Enters Maintenance and IS requests as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
This is what you’ll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Recent Medical Office Administration diploma from a recognized collegerequired OR a minimum of 1 year recent clerical/admin experience working in a comparable position in a healthcare setting required
- Medical terminology certificate required
- Must have experience with the Meditech Patient Information System
- Must have experience with other patient care related databases i.e. Critical
- Familiarity with computers and accessory equipment – printers, scanners, magnetic card swipers required
- Advanced keyboarding and extremely accurate data entry skills required
- Must have experience using Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Minimum of 30 wpm typing speed required
- Accurate spelling is required
- Able to work with minimal supervision and to prioritize work
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonaland organizational skills
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English fluently
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skillsand the ability to diplomatically respond to physicians, staff and family inquiries in a demanding work environment
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position which involves frequent sitting, standing and reaching
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record required
The ideal candidate demonstrates strength in family centered care and is able to work in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment and be ready to embrace change and innovation. We require a person with excellent clinical and communication skills with a clear patient focus and the ability to inspire, influence and advance collaborative teamwork.
Preference will be given to those applicants with greater than 2 years’ Unit Clerk experience in a Maternal Newborn and/or Special Care Nursery setting.
Salary: $19.93 to $24.88 per hour
Date Posted: August 27, 2020
Internal applications due by: September 3, 2020
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient safety as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
The ideal candidate is strong in attention to detail in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment and should be ready to drive change and innovation. We require an individual who is a strong communicator, interacts with co-workers and clients with care and respect and has the ability to foster a work environment that focuses on teamwork.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented product. We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.
More search results
Senior Communications Specialist-Employee Communi…
Toronto Transit Commission
Associate Vice-President, Indigenous Engagement &…
Building Manager II Resident (Killarney Gardens)
Executive Assistant Real Estate & Portfolio Renew…
Senior Communications Specialist, Stakeholder Eng…