Job ID: 3550
Regular Full Time
Location: Burnaby, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
BC Housing, through the Licensing and Consumer Services Branch, also administers the Homeowner Protection Act. The mandate is to increase consumer protection for homebuyers and improve the quality of residential construction in British Columbia. The Licensing & Consumer Services Branch is responsible for licensing residential builders province-wide and monitoring the performance of the third-party home warranty insurance system for new homes.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
Reporting to the Vice President & Registrar, Licensing & Consumer Services, the Legal Assistant is responsible for assisting the Vice President in carrying out the statutory function of the Registrar by facilitating the Registrar’s review of decisions, coordinating the Registrar’s response to appeals, monitoring the application of administrative fairness to all regulatory processes, carrying out confidential and sensitive research assignments, and preparing reports and briefing notes regarding a variety of issues pertaining to the residential builder licensing and home warranty insurance schemes administered under the Homeowner Protection Act. The position is also responsible for performing executive administration functions and managing the smooth and efficient operation of the office of the VP.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Community College diploma in commerce or business administration supplemented by formal legal assistant courses.
- Considerable experience as a legal assistant, including administrative law or tribunal experience, and experience in conducting research and preparing reports. Considerable experience in performing executive administration functions.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the Employer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of Legal Assistant work practices and processes within a regulatory environment
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of the Branch’s policies, programs and operating requirements
- Ability to read and understand legislation
- Ability to apply high standards of grammar, spelling, punctuation and accuracy, and proficiency in the use of legal terms
- Ability to assess issues, conduct research and prepare briefing materials, reports and correspondence
- Ability to exercise judgment, diplomacy and tact in dealing with the varied day-to-day issues associated with the office of the VP and Registrar
- Ability to liaise effectively with Branch and Commission staff and facilitate the completion of various activities on behalf of the VP
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and exercise good judgment in dealing with matters of a confidential nature
- Ability to foster strong working relationships with governments, industry representatives and other stakeholders to accomplish objectives
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, analytical, problem solving, time management and expediting skills
- Proficient in the use of computer systems with strong computer skills.
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers