- Job Category
- Job Type
Our Waterloo office is looking for an Electrical Engineer to join the Design Services Group. As a member of the multidiscipline design team, the Electrical Engineer will work on a broad spectrum of electrical aspects for multiple projects including new installations, upgrades of existing systems, testing, commissioning, and system optimization. This person must have solid understanding of low and medium voltage power distribution design, motor control concepts and functionality, electrical system protection and control, standby power options and implementation, detailed design work, construction contract administration and support, and commissioning activities for water and wastewater treatment plants, industrial plants, solid waste and non-utility power generation plants in municipal and industrial sectors. Quick adaptation to different clients’ design standards is a must.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Assistance with proposal requests, developing design and construction fees, and report writing.
- Completing condition assessments for various facilities including report writing and participation in client meetings.
- Preparing detailed design drawing packages for projects of varying scale, including the following:
- Utility interconnection
- Substation design
- Electrical system protection and coordination
- MV power distribution
- MV motor control
- Standby power systems design
- LV power distribution
- LV motor control
- Instrumentation and Control
- Building services (lighting, security, etc.)
- DC systems
- Equipment layouts
- Completion and review of electrical design calculations.
- Preparation of contract documentation including equipment specifications, cable/conduit schedules, installation specifications, equipment procurement documents, sub-contractor requisitions, scope-of-work, bill-of-materials, and process narratives.
- Leading electrical project team throughout project phases and monitoring schedule, quality of deliverable and budgets.
- Technical review and quality control of design drawings and documents. Professional sealing of technical documents.
- Support during tendering and construction including responding to RFIs, assisting GHD and client site personnel, reviewing shop drawings, evaluating electrical reports (short circuit, protective device coordination, arc flash, ground potential rise (GPR), harmonics, etc), completing site inspections, preparing testing plans, preparation and evaluation of change orders and participation in project meetings.
- Preparing and leading electrical specific meetings with clients presenting design options, system functionality, etc.
- Mentoring of junior staff.
- Coordination of electrical system designs with other engineering disciplines (process, mechanical, civil, structural, etc.), vendors, and outside design team members. Providing direction to and coordination with internal designers/drafters team.
- Ensuring compliance with Canadian electrical codes and standards, relevant industry standards and regulations. Coordination and liaison with clients and approving authorities.
Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
- B.A.Sc. in Electrical Engineering
- Registered member of the Professional Engineers of Ontario
- Minimum of 10 years' of experience involved in the design and implementation of MV and LV electrical systems including substations, motors and drives, power distribution, power generation, as well as solid understanding of field instrumentation and automated equipment integration.
- Excellent knowledge of Canadian electrical codes and standards, relevant industry standards and regulations. Understanding of MV and LV power distribution design concepts, equipment and personnel safety strategies and electrical system protection theories and applications.
- Strong analytical skills. Demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail and continual diligence to follow-up. Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Self-motivated, with strong desire to learn.
- Well organized, able to multi-task and lead multiple projects. Strong organizational, interpersonal and written/oral communication skills.
- Be a part of multi-functional teams with the ability to relate well and cooperate with other members of the team, to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
- Experience with City of Toronto and/or Region of York projects and standards an asset.
- G class driver’s license
Our commitment to you
Fostering gender balance, diversity and inclusion, and acceptance of flexible working is central to the way GHD does business. We offer a professional, friendly and inclusive culture based on our core values of Safety, Teamwork, Respect and Integrity.
In addition to a competitive salary, GHD provides attractive career options including professional development via our GHD Business School, additional leave, and family-friendly flexible work arrangements.
Be a part of a high functioning team, where everything we do is inspired by a level of passion and professional pride that comes from being employee owned. This ownership is what sets us apart and means our people enjoy an unrivalled amount of autonomy in their roles. It helps drive our passion and accountability in how we serve our clients, deliver projects, and pursue new opportunities.
So, do you have what it takes: passion, collaboration, imagination and values that match our own?
As one of the world’s leading professional services companies, GHD delivers iconic projects that shape our landscapes, support our communities and set the path of our collective future. To do this, we actively seek and nurture the very best people in their respective fields to join our team of over 10,000 professionals operating in the markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
In return, we offer remarkable career shaping opportunities to extend your skills and gain global experience.#LI-TW1