Senior Communications Advisor, community and tenant affairs
SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS ADVISOR, COMMUNITY AND TENANT AFFAIRS
Job ID: 3562
Location: BURNABY , BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
SENIOR COMMUNICATIOSN ADVISOR, COMMUNITY AND TENANT AFFAIRS
The Senior Communications Advisor, Community and Tenant Affairs is responsible for developing and implementing a wide range of communications and community engagement strategies to support BC Housing’s corporate priorities. As provincial lead on community and tenant affairs for BC Housing, key responsibilities include providing consultation and support to BC Housing’s Executive and senior leadership on addressing emerging community acceptances issues; developing and implementing tenant and community engagement strategies for major redevelopments, renovation and new construction projects; and developing provincial communications strategies for major initiatives to foster community and/or tenant support. The incumbent will collaborate with the Communications team, Development & Asset Management, and Operations to facilitate strong working relations with housing sector partners, local governments, health authorities and other community stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in communications, public engagement or other relevant discipline.
- Minimum of five years progressively related experience in communications in the field of community relations, public engagement, strategic communications planning, issues management, and event planning and execution.
- Minimum of two years’ experience working with marginalized or underserved communities and with vulnerable and multi-barriered clients.
- Experience in a team leadership and advisory role to others.
- Experience working in government, with a non-profit in housing or a related sector, or with Indigenous communities is an asset.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience acceptable to the employer.
- Lived experience is an asset
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the philosophy, theories and principles of communications
- Strong knowledge and understanding of public engagement best practices
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current social issues facing tenant populations
- Some knowledge and understanding of media relations and public affairs
- Proficient in the use of MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Strong verbal, writing, editing, and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to apply principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in decision-making
- Ability to work closely with internal and external partners and stakeholders in planning and implementing community engagement strategies, provide strategic communications advice, and facilitate problem solving in achieving results
- Ability to facilitate a wide range of community engagement strategies.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and oversee the execution of a variety of events and announcements, upholding best practices in accessibility
- Ability to write, prepare and post content to websites for both internal and external audiences
- Ability to develop compelling collateral materials using a combination of visuals and strong writing
- Ability to work effectively with social media platforms
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve, mediate and mitigate difficult situations
- Ability to work with a variety of partners and stakeholders, agencies and contractors
- Ability to work independently and as a team player and provide team leadership on various projects
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and pressures, with scrupulous attention to details
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in an appropriate manner while displaying a high degree of judgement, discretion and decision-making ability
- Ability to travel on Commission business and work evenings and weekends as required
- Valid BC Driver’s License and must meet requirements to qualify for rental car insurance, or willingness to obtain
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers