Zero Waste Coordinator / Junior Waste Management Planner
- Job Category
- Science and Research
- Job Type
GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
Our Alberta Team is looking for a Zero Waste Coordinator / Junior Waste Management Planner to join one of our fastest growing Canadian operations. Working for GHD includes a competitive benefits package including RRSP matching, MSP premiums, commuter incentive, and wellness reimbursement. This position is a phenomenal opportunity to be part of an established solid waste practice in western Canada with a bright future ahead.
We are seeking an outgoing person to join our solid waste management team who is passionate about working with large and small municipalities, as well as First Nation communities. This positon will undertake work in the planning and implementation of recycling and compost systems, along with other waste diversion and reduction programs and initiatives, including aspects of education, outreach and awareness.
- Assist with waste characterization and waste generation studies
- Assist with team of engineers and community planners with the design of Solid Waste Master Plans
- Assist in planning and implementing solid waste, recycling, compost, and other waste reduction and diversion programs in collaboration with a team of engineers and community planners
- Assist with open houses, consultations and public engagement strategies
- Prepare council presentations and information packages
- Provide ongoing communication and liaison with communities and conduct site visits
- Coordinate information and education resources for zero waste programs across a wide geographical region. Develop and maintain partnerships with local environmental/sustainability focused organizations
- Develop and deliver presentations to the public, including schools, community groups, organizations, and businesses
- Provide on the ground support to communities in the first few weeks of commissioning new recycling and compost programs and in collection of recycling and organics from households
- Provide training and ongoing assistance to community staff on solid waste recycling, and composting programs
- Troubleshoot to resolve issues regarding the disposal of refuse or recycling collection practices, for example contamination in recycling bins
- Maintain up-to date knowledge of Alberta and BC Recycling Regulations and policy surrounding recycling and composting
- Work with communities, Product Stewardship organizations and Regional Districts to implement and troubleshoot solid waste, recycling and composting systems
Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in planning or environmental science/studies
- 3 to 7 years of experience directly relating to position
- Self-starter and finisher, detail orientated, flexible, great teammate, and willing and able to do a wide variety of tasks with minimal supervision
- Positive attitude, safety-mindedness, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills (oral and written)
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage a variety of tasks, and willingness to meet challenging deadlines
- Willing to travel for work and able work in remote locations during the week
- Strong Microsoft Office skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Previous experience in solid waste, recycling, and organics collection planning
- Previous experience working with First Nations and rural communities would be an asset
- Previous experience delivering presentations or educational programs to small communities or organizations, and an understanding of environmental education techniques is an asset
- Knowledge of Alberta Recycling Management Authority, BC Product Stewardship and municipal solid waste systems
- Familiarity with Federal and Provincial Waste Regulations
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift 20 kg, perform physical tasks, and work in all weather conditions
We offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work / life balance is essential to the success and happiness of our people. We also offer competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.