Registered Nurse - PT 0.6 - Mental Health Unit 2
- Halton Healthcare
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
Position: Registered Nurse
Department: Adult Inpatient Mental Health Treatment Unit 2
Status: Part-time (must provide availability of up to 0.5 FTE)
Hours: Monday to Sunday - (Days & Nights) Various rotating 12 hourshifts (hours subject to change based on operational needs)
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions. We are a distinctive centre of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
This is what you’ll be doing:
- The RN functions as a valued member of the multidisciplinary team providing assessment and evidence-based nursing care for patients with acute mental health needs.
- Solid knowledge and skill includes the ability to perform thorough mental status examination, to utilize developmentally appropriate approaches, to implement and evaluate of various therapeutic interventions, to provide mental health teaching to patients and families, based on principles of adult education, to provide one to one and group therapeutic interventions.
- Essential to the role is a strong knowledge of all pertinent mental health legislation and the application of it in order to advocate effectively for patients living with mental health disorders.
- The nurse uses Case Management principles of planning and carrying out care consistently over the duration of a patient´s admission, allowing for a deeper and more informed therapeutic partnership. Belief in recovery and instilling hope are our critical values.
- Using a Primary Nursing Model, the successful candidate will function as a member of the multidisciplinary team on our adult in-patient mental health unit. The nurse will be skilled in dealing with acutely ill and high risk psychiatric populations including suicidal individuals, those with severe depressive or psychotic illnesses and personality and behaviour disorders.
This is what you’ll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Current Registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- C.N.A. certification in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing designation or required commitment to obtain in the next 2 years.
- Completion of Non-violent crisis intervention training required
- Minimum of 1year acute mental health experience required
- Knowledge and skill in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing to Practice within the Canadian Federation of Mental Health Nurses´ Standards of Practice ( www.cfmhn.ca/standards.html )
- Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act of Ontario & other related legislation
- Knowledge and understanding of current psychopharmacology and other treatments in Mental Health
- Effective computer skills
- Excellent problem solving and conflict/crisis resolution skills
- Ability to establish a therapeutic alliance with clients
- Willing to participate in and learn effective leadership skills
- Ability to demonstrate empathy and understanding to this population mandatory
- Effective team player who projects a positive, non-judgmental attitude
- Exemplary interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record required
Salary: $33.56 to $48.05 per hour
Date posted : September 15, 2020
Internal applications due by: September 22 , 2020
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.ca directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products, We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.