Operational Engineering Manager - Ontario Design Organization
- Job Category
- Job Type
GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents and the Pacific region. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
Our Ontario EDO (Engineering Design Organization) in GTA is looking for a dynamic and motivated individual to take on the role of Engineering Manager – for our Ontario Engineering Design Organization with the goal of growing and developing our existing multi-discipline design team to support our growing Canadian Operations.
As a member of the leadership team, the successful candidate will contribute to and be responsible for all engineering aspects of multi-discipline projects in various markets and business including Water (water/wastewater treatment, linear water, water resources) Energy and Resources, solid waste, food and agricultural, Environmental (Solid Waste, Landfill, CAR), Transportation (Highways, Roads, Bridges, Rail and Transit).
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
Leadership & Managerial:
- Managing multi-discipline teams in different offices across ON, and provide leadership and direction to the EDO teams
- Drive a culture of discipline for best practices, responsibility and accountability with clear KPIs for the team.
- Provide leadership and direction to the team(s) for projects in execution phase
- Managing resource planning, project staffing, growth plans, for multi-discipline engineering teams while growing opportunities and capacity
- Responsible for organizational design and effectiveness
- Development of capable succession for leadership roles and technical expertise
- Establishment of a positive culture
- Provide project oversite, technical direction and coaching to senior and junior engineering and design project management staff, and leading relationships with internal GHD clients along with the development of new clients
- Manage and provide consultation in key major projects. This includes having responsibility for senior project engineering manager input, client interface, regulatory liaison, subcontracting, project team assignments, resource scheduling, project completion and reporting as required.
- Engage in strategic planning by setting annual and quarterly objectives for the Engineering department and the discipline leads.
- Drive goals with internal and external stakeholders to build world-class services through productivity, accountability and efficiency which aligns with GHD values and builds a culture of delivering results
Team Management and Business Development:
- Support markets and business groups with their client relations and work along with them to develop new client relationships.
- Work with our business development team and pursuit leaders to support the pursuit of design projects
- Collaborate with the Ontario EDO management team and other disciplines (structural, mechanical and electrical….etc) to develop, manage and deliver projects
- Communicate and work with multi-discipline project team members to provide quality service to clients to ensure all documentation conforms to client/company standards
- Coordination of design activities on projects with engineering disciplines leads, PMs and other key stakeholders.
- Preparation of technical memorandums, reports, budgets, cost estimates, and correspondence.
- Engage in the development of office procedures and standards and facilitate their implementation into projects to drive quality, cost effective design approach and innovative design to clients.
- Supervising and mentoring of staff and be responsible for staff workload and utilization of the team, and responsible for implementing resource planning with EDO management and business groups.
- Assistance in proposals and business development
- Be the functional manager for a team of professionals in multi-discipline EPCM environment.
- Support engineering low cost source strategy for long term growth and competitiveness
- Coordinate new business opportunities with the business groups to ensure resources are allocated to new projects
- Ensure resources are effectively utilized leveraging skills and program geographical and different business needs.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- B.A.Sc. in Engineering
- Registered member of the Professional Engineers of Ontario
- 15+ years of experience in related consulting and design environment with proven experience with large and complex project delivery including FEED, Design for Design Build, Municipality projects, P3 projects and other types of projects with minimum 5 years in similar position
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills (both oral and written), with the ability to interact effectively within all levels of the organization in a collaborative fashion
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities in the areas of personnel management, decision making, organizational change, employee development, performance management, and team building skills
- Strong understanding of different project delivery models such as EPCM, EPC, Design for Design Build.
- Proven ability to build, lead and inspire a team of specialists in similar environment..
- Strong Project Management and engineering Management in major projects set-ups.
- Strong business acumen and commercial skills
- Exceptional client engagement and relationship skills
- Ability to work under pressure, meet required timelines, and manage and organize processes and procedures
- Willingness and ability to travel
We offer an opportunity to be part of a growing and dynamic employee owned company, a professional working environment with career development potential, flexible hours and a competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience in a privately held, quality driven and client focused company.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.