Winter Maintenance Staff - Multiple Positions
- Georgian College
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
Classification: Support Staff
Posting Date: September 24, 2020
Salary Range: $ 15.33 - $ 19.69
Hours per week: Up to 24 hours per week
Status: Casual (Part-time)
Effective Date: October 2020 to April 2021
THESE ARE CASUAL (PART-TIME) POSITIONS. These positions are up to 24 hours per week as required, on-call without standby pay. The contract dates and schedule are based on the weather and the shifts are primarily overnight, early morning and/or weekends.
Reporting to the Manager, Facilities Management the incumbent ensures college property is safe during the winter season for all staff, students, and visitors of the Barrie Campus. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Using college equipment and vehicles to plow snow from parking lots, roadways, driveways, entrances and walkways throughout the property
• Extensive manual shoveling and salting of sidewalks and doorways is mandatory
• Applying salt via truck-mounted spreaders and or manually
• Completing accurate log sheets during and at end of each shift for submission
• Maintaining salt bins, emptying garbage containers and other outdoor duties as assigned
• Maintaining a clean working environment and showing respect for college owned equipment
• A valid G driver's license
• Previous experience operating snow plows and heavy equipment including: loaders, tractors and trucks with plows, blowers, snow pushers and snow blowers (walk behind)
• Experience in minor mechanical repairs / equipment maintenance
• Must be able and willing to meet the physical demands of the position (physical ability to shovel snow, lift heavy bags of salt, scrape ice, etc.)
• Communication skills (oral and written)
• Proven ability to work independently and within a team environment, and follow instructions
• Available to work non-traditional hours including overnight, early morning, weekend, and afternoon shifts with limited advance notice
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
This position will be open until filled. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.