- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.
Do you have the desire to learn? The drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment?
Golder Associates Ltd. is seeking an Intermediate Geotechnical Technician to join our Ground Engineering Group on a full-time basis, located at the London office.
An overview of your role will include:
- Collect and handle samples, and/or complete required testing with a focus on monitoring / supervising drilling operations for soil and rock explorations;
- Collection and maintenance of detailed field notes and borehole / drill hole logs and test pit logs;
- Coordination of junior field staff to ensure daily field testing and inspection requirements are being met, and filling in gaps as needed;
- P articipate in the preparation of site-specific health and safety, security and environmental plans to mitigate or eliminate risks;
- Coordinate geotechnical drilling programs including drilling rigs, traffic control, service locates;
- Preparation and use of the appropriate equipment and apparatus for the required tasks for the manner intended (e.g. Standard Penetration Testing, Field vane shear testing, "Shelby" tube sampling, electronic cone penetration testing, etc.);
- Supervise subcontractors to ensure they are meeting the requirements of the project;
- Undertake site reconnaissance, inspections, and observations of drill rig / excavator access limitations and selection of appropriate equipment, meeting with utility locate personnel, etc.;
- Perform moisture-density (compaction) testing, foundation subgrade inspections, slope stability / movement monitoring, assess and document temporary shoring works and dewatering activities, settlement monitoring and reporting, etc.;
- Monitor civil site works, including full placement, full-scale pile load testing and Pile Dynamic Analysis testing (etc.);
- Prepare daily / weekly field reports, and provide them in borehole logs and test pit logs;
- Assist with project documentation, which could include tabulation of field data, interpreting and preparing written portions of letters, proposals, and / or reports;
- File and manage all project related field notes, including data entry and assistance with report preparation;
- Work with and support other Golder employees in the field or office; and
- Where necessary work independently, connecting with senior personnel as required for clarity and direction.
You will need to possess the following qualifications:
- College technical diploma in a related discipline (civil, construction, geotechnical, environmental);
- Five or more relevant years of experience. Previous experience supervising geotechnical / environmental drilling rigs is required. Preference will be given if candidate has previous experience as outlined above.
- Currently holding CCIL certified for concrete testing;
- Strong people skills and a desire and ability to work in the field within a team environment;
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written);
- Must own a vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage and hold a valid driver's license;
- Be able to lift, move and carry up to 50 lbs;
- Being available for extended period away from home location due to field assignments; and
- Demonstrating a "Safety-First" focus and acting as a role model to other staff.
Your benefits at Golder will include:
- Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
- Employee owned structure - own the business, own the result
- Deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment
- Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects
- On the job training, mentoring and coaching
- Global projects and travel opportunities
One of Canada's Best Managed Companies, Platinum member status 11 consecutive years
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder is a leading, global employee-owned engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 30 countries, Golder's 6,500 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and power sectors.
Golder is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals. As such, Golder will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, upon request.
To learn more about our company and culture click here to view The Promise of Golder video.