Junior Environmental Health and Safety Field Technician
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
Golder has a new opportunity for an Environmental Health and Safety Field Technician (junior level) to join our Environmental Permitting and Monitoring team on a contract basis based in Mississauga or Whitby Ontario.
This contract position includes working on a variety of environmentally related projects involving hazardous materials management, occupational hygiene, indoor air quality, microbial assessments, and health & safety.
An overview of your role will include:
- Collection and handling samples, and/or completing required testing for:
- Asbestos assessments, air monitoring and inspections during abatement activities;
- Microbial assessments, air monitoring and inspection during remediation;
- Occupational hygiene (i.e. noise, biological, chemicals, radiation and other); and
- Indoor air quality.
- Preparing and calibrating sampling equipment for field use;
- Collection & maintenance of detailed field notes;
- Completion of required work tasks, while adhering to current industry standards and regulatory requirements;
- Preparation and use of air monitoring equipment for the required tasks for the manner in intended;
- Basic application and interpretation of results to ensure the quality and accuracy of the end product.
- Undertake site reconnaissance, inspections, and observations for hazardous materials, microbial assessments, industrial hygiene monitoring and other related discipline work;
- Accurately record relevant data through the appropriate means, medium, and/or equipment.
- Prepare and coordinate/assist project documentation, which could include tabulation of field data, interpreting and preparing writing portions of the letters and reports.
- File and manage all project related field notes including some data entry and assistance with report preparation.
- Monitor contractors on behalf of our Clients to ensure they are meeting the project scope of work and regulatory requirements safely and professionally;
- Adhering to our corporate Health and Safety policies and procedures;
- Participating in the preparation of eHaSEP plans and adhering to site-specific health and safety plans to mitigate or eliminate risks to Golder staff, Golder's clients, employees and the public;
- Identifying and reporting potential and existing site hazards, incidents, potential Fatal Risk Controls; and
- Ensuring proper care, handling, and storage of equipment, samples, and products.
- Work with and support other Golder employees in the field or office;
- Carry out field work under the direction of more experienced Golder employees; and
- If necessary, provide guidance/mentorship to junior Golder employees.
The position requires the following qualifications and attributes:
- Technical diploma in Environmental Sciences or any related discipline
- Knowledge of MS Office is essential
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good communication skills (oral and written)
- 0-1 year of previous field experience is an asset
- A valid driver's license
- Having a good attitude for Health and Safety
- Able to adapt with changing circumstances, environment, HSSE
- Strong organizational and time management skills; able to prioritize requests
- Work independently if required, show initiative and good judgement
Working conditions and physical demands:
- Lifting, moving, and carrying up to 50 lbs. may be required
- Periods of standing, sitting, and walking on a variety of surfaces
- Periods of standing, sitting, and walking in extreme temperatures and weather conditions
- Driving to and from sites
- Extend period away from home location due to field assignments
- Required to work non-standard hours and/or in various time zones
- Manual dexterity required to use equipment, peripherals, and computers
- Wear correct PPE as specified
Your benefits at Golder will include:
- Competitive benefits and renumeration packages
- Employee owned structure - own the business, own the result
- Deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment
- Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects
- On the job training, mentoring and coaching
- Global projects and travel opportunities
One of Canada's Best Managed Companies, Platinum member status 11 consecutive years
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder is a leading, global employee-owned engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 30 countries, Golder's 6,500 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and power sectors.
Golder Associates Ltd. is committed to meeting the accessibility needs of persons with disabilities in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA), and all other applicable legislation. Golder will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities upon request.
To learn more about our company and culture click here to view The Promise of Golder video.