- Job Category
- Science and Research
- Job Type
GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people deliver projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
GHD has an excellent opportunity for a Junior Hydrogeologist to join our team of highly motivated hardworking professionals, committed to delivering high quality service, located in the Mississauga, ON office. The position requires a Bachelor's degree in Earth or Environmental Science and preferred 1 to 3 years’ experience in hydrogeology. Please note this is a one year contract.
In this role, you will work with our team of hydrogeologists, engineers and technical staff to complete hydrogeological components of multi-disciplinary environmental studies, on a variety of projects. The projects may include rural and urban development, infrastructure projects, aggregate resources, water supply, environmental assessment and other projects.
- Project co-ordination - carryout hydrogeological field programs as the need arises, including liaison with subcontractors, e.g., drillers and laboratories.
- Budget control - prepare subcontractor purchase orders, and control costs related to field activities.
- Prepare permit applications, e.g., Road Occupancy Permits, Permit To Take Water, Sewer Use Discharge Permits;
- Field work – undertake utility clearances, borehole drilling, test pitting, soil description core logging, monitoring well installation and development, soil/groundwater sample collection, hydraulic testing (single well response test, packer testing, pumping tests, infiltration tests), groundwater level monitoring, and water well surveys.
- Report Preparation - data processing, evaluation, and interpretation, using a variety of software tools including: Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Aqtesolv.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Earth or Environmental Sciences (hydrogeology specialization)
- Eligible for professional registration within Ontario as P.Geo. or ability to meet the Geoscientist-in-Training (G.I.T.) requirements.
- 1 to 3 years of experience in hydrogeology/geoscience is preferred.
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License.
- Travel will be required in this position. The successful person must be prepared to undertake field assignments, generally throughout the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and Province, as dictated by project demands.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team
- The ability to manage time, meet deadlines and budgets, and prioritize
- Comfortable working outdoors in a variety of site environments
- Strong analytical and technical writing skills
- Mechanical aptitude would be an asset for trouble-shooting and problem solving equipment in the field
- Knowledgeable in the use and operation of various environmental field equipment, water level meters, data loggers, pumps and flow meters
We offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work / life balance is critical to the success and happiness of our people. We also offer competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.