Senior Communications Specialist-Employee Communications
- Toronto Transit Commission
- $95,877.60 - $119,919.80
- Job Category
- Marketing & Communications, Technology and Digital Media, Transportation
- Job Type
Senior Communications Specialist-Employee Communications
Requisition ID: 2808
Number of Vacancies: 1.00
Department: Corporate Communications (20000063) - Corporate Communications (30000081)
Salary Information: $95,877.60 - $119,919.80
Pay Scale Group: 10SA
Employment Type: Regular
Weekly Hours: 35, Off Days: Saturday and Sunday Shift: Day
Posted On: September 25, 2020
Last Day to Apply: October 9, 2020
Reports to: Manager Corporate Communications
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America's third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC's vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC's recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing "a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service and courtesy."
Reporting to the Manager – Corporate Communications (with accountability to the Head, Corporate Communications), the incumbent leads all internal corporate communications to TTC employees. The Senior Communications Specialist – Employee Communications develops and executes effective communications plans on issues and programs directly affecting employees. The position oversees robust and timely content development and ensures that corporates messages are shared across various internal communications channels. The position also leads the development of new communication channels for TTC employees. The incumbent also provides advice and counsel to senior management regarding internal communications; and directs and leads the development of employee profiles for email content. The Senior Communications Specialist substitutes for the Manager – Corporate Communications as assigned.
Key Job Functions
- Ensures communication plans are integrated within the organization’s broader corporate communications strategy;
- Develops communications plans on issues and programs that directly affect employees and meets the needs of internal clients and audiences;
- Leads and oversees the management of employee communications projects;
- Leads and oversees the planning, writing and production of communications products in print and on-line;
- Participates in the measurement of the effectiveness of internal communication channels, and develops recommendations for improvements;
- Accountable for ensuring appropriate messaging is provided to staff and employees throughout the organization in a timely manner in keeping with the People objective of the Five-Year Corporate Plan.
- Researches and writes a range of print and online communications such as bulletins, audiovisual material and website content;
- Leads and ensures robust and timely TTC-TV content;
- Leads and oversees corporate messages on the Intranet site;
- Leads and ensures robust and timely content on the employee smartphone application;
- Leads the development of new channels for effective employee communications;
- Leads and overseas the renewal of all onboarding material for new employees.
- Provides communications advice and counsel to senior management on sensitive or complex issues regarding employees;
- Attends TTC meetings to present and/or discuss the issues and strategies as required;
- Works closely with senior management and internal clients to maintain an understanding of current communications challenges and requirements;
- Tracks and analyses issues arising from TTC governing committees.
- Provides guidance, assistance and support to Corporate Communications staff in order to meet TTC corporate goals and objectives on a timely basis.
- Ensures compliance with all corporate and departmental policies and practices.
- Keeps abreast of industry trends, best practices and new technology as relating to area of responsibility.
- Participates in section and departmental meetings, and represents the section in various committees and meetings as required.
- Responds to information requests from internal sources in a timely and accurate manner.
- Provides communications advice and counsel as required, as a member of the Corporate Communications Management Team.
- Helps develop and mentor staff on Corporate Communications team.
- Promotes a respectful work and service environment that supports diversity, inclusion, and is free from harassment and discrimination. Helps to build an inclusive and accessible work and service environment for all employees and customers. Ensures the needs of employees and customers are accommodated in accordance with TTC’s commitments and obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and Related Orders, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and TTC’s policies.
- Communicate in a variety of mediums
- Plan and organize activities / projects to meet section and organizational goals
- Create and deliver presentations in various formats
- Use office technology, software and applications
- Demonstrate appropriate and effective interpersonal communications through various media
- Apply analytical skills
- Demonstrate specialized expertise and knowledge in the assigned field
Education and Experience
Completion of a post-secondary college diploma or university degree in a related discipline or a combination of education, training and experience deemed to be equivalent.
- Extensive, senior level corporate and/or government experience in strategic communications and issues management.
- Comprehensive understanding of the role of communication principles and practice within an organization.
- Excellent knowledge of the corporate communications field including various forms of internal and external communications such as printed materials, briefing notes, social media, video, film, TV and radio.
- Exceptional research, writing, editing and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of Human Resources issues as well as the ability to develop communications for a diverse audience.
- Well-developed technical skills in Microsoft Office products, combined with applied knowledge of desktop design, publication/production/presentation software and new technologies, digital and social media communications.
- Must possess sound judgement, sensitivity and discretion; strong communication, interpersonal and facilitation skills, and the ability to establish effective work relationships with internal and external stakeholders and colleagues.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills to manage multiple projects and priorities in a timely manner and adapt to changing situations.
- A team player experienced in achieving excellent results.
- Strategic and creative thinking, political sensitivity and the ability to motivate and co-ordinate the efforts of others to accomplish objectives.
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
- Prior experience working in a technical, project management environment is an asset.
- Experience with labour relations and working in a heavily unionized environment is an asset.
To find out more about the TTC and to apply online, by October 9, 2020, please visit www.ttc.ca/jobs, click on “current employment opportunities” and enter Requisition ID 2808 in the search field.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources - Employment Services at 416-393-4570.
The TTC’s Employment Policy prohibits relatives of current TTC employees from being hired, assigned, transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a conflict of interest due to relationship. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee.