TENANT SUPPORT WORKER
Job ID: 3588
REGULAR/FULL-TIME (UP TO 2 POSITIONS)
Location: VANCOUVER, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
TENANT SUPPORT WORKER
The Tenant Support Worker (TSW) is responsible for working with individuals to provide emotional support, develop skills and access resources to increase tenants’ capacity to be successful and satisfied in the living, working, learning and/or social environments of their choice. The TSW provides these services directly, or facilitates and co-ordinates tenants’ access to services available on the site and in the community. The TSW focuses on strengths and capacities of individual tenants receiving services and supports.
This position establishes positive relationships with a diverse tenant population including people who are at risk of homelessness, fleeing abuse, or challenged with medical, mental health or addictions issues. The TSW helps tenants overcome the various challenges that arise when living in a social housing environment. The position facilitates the development of personal support networks by utilizing supports within communities, family members, peer support initiatives, and self-help groups.
Services provided include crisis intervention, providing information and assistance to meet obligations as tenants and facilitate access or follow through with available site and community resources. The Tenant Support Worker encourages the tenants’ use of available social, occupational, spiritual, financial, intellectual, residential, recreational and educational resources to meet their goals, ensuring services are culturally relevant to the individual tenant.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of a college diploma or certificate in Community Social Service Worker Program, or Health Care Worker Program or Community Mental Health Worker or other relevant discipline.
- Minimum three years’ experience in direct supportive counselling or educational experience with individuals and/or families that face multiple barriers to successful housing.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience acceptable to the employer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Sound knowledge of BC Housing and social housing programs, and their role in the social service system;
- Sound knowledge of current social issues such as poverty, homelessness, mental illness, addictions, domestic violence, child protection, etc.
- Sound knowledge of community resources and methods of access;
- Working knowledge of the Residential Tenancy Act and applicable Health and Safety regulations;
- Ability to apply a high degree of discretion in establishing supportive, trusting relationships with tenants while respecting the role and obligations of property management staff according to the Residential Tenancy Act;
- Awareness of Cultural Diversity;
- Ability to build relationships with internal and external clients;
- Ability to assist groups to develop and co-ordinate community activities and programs;
- Ability to build and maintain professional, confidential relationships with multi-barriered people;
- Ability to work effectively across organizational departments and in a team and partnership context;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated skills in crisis intervention, mediation and conflict resolution;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong time management skills; and
- Proficiency in basic computer skills and software such as Microsoft Office.
Please Note: Successful applicant(s) are subject to a satisfactory criminal record search and are required to maintain Security Clearance throughout their employment.
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers