Senior Environmental Scientist - Impact Assessment/Permitting (Mid-Senior Level)
- ERM Consultants Canada Ltd.
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
Environmental Resources Management (ERM) is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, and social consulting services. We are currently seeking an outstanding Senior Environmental Scientist - Impact Assessment/Permitting, to join our Toronto office and support our Mining team.
The role requires experience in the mining sector with some exposure to environmental effects analysis, and an interest in applying knowledge and skills to solve complex challenges within the mining sector, specifically in Northern Canada and ideally in Nunavut. Strong familiarity with provincial/territorial and federal regulatory requirements is needed. This posting has tremendous potential for career growth with the successful candidate having opportunities to interact directly with clients and regulators. The successful candidate will be a member of a larger environmental regulatory/permitting team, and will become a member of an extensive team of global environmental and social experts.
This posting is for a motivated person who enjoys problem solving and working within a challenging multi-stakeholder environment.
- Provide technical expertise on a variety of permitting, regulatory and environmental impact assessment tasks in support of clients’ projects.
- Work on multiple projects, particularly in Northern Canada and Nunavut, to support ERM's Project Managers on execution of scope/budget/schedule to meet client's expectations and ensure quality standards on project deliverables.
- Support engagement activities with Indigenous groups, communities and stakeholders as part of the project design and permitting process.
- Execute activities such as permit application scoping, application information requirements, technical writing, data and regulatory research and review, collection and integration of input from ERM’s subject matter experts, permit and environmental management plans, delegating GIS, data compilation and desk-top publishing assignments to support permit applications, and development of recommendations for clients.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with other ERM employees worldwide.
QUALIFICATIONS & DESIRABLE SKILLS:
- Bachelor degree in Sciences, Environmental Engineering or related field
- 10+ years of experience in the mining industry
- Understanding of mining and mining-related environmental effects
- Strong knowledge of capital project management and experience working as part of an integrated team of consultants and engineering companies to develop pre-feasibility and feasibility level studies.
- Prior experience in environmental consulting or government
- Expertise with Federal, Provincial and Territorial regulations and guidelines (particularly Nunavut and Northwest Territories)
- Environmental Assessment experience
- Experience with community and stakeholder engagement
- Strong project management skills (e.g., development of work plans, budgets, schedules, and project controls) in a client-facing role
- Excellent communication, accounting and organization skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a demanding work environment
- Bilingual language skills (French and English) is an asset
If you are looking for new challenges with opportunities for career advancement, a desire to be part of a leading sustainability company, and working with some of the world’s largest mining companies, this will be your opportunity.
Who We Are:
As the world’s leading sustainability consulting firm, ERM is uniquely positioned to contribute to the environment and society through the expertise and energy of our employees worldwide. Sustainability is what we do, and is at the heart of both our service offerings and how we operate our business. ERM and our partners are driven by a dynamic vision: By 2021 we will be the clear leader in our chosen markets, we will double in value and we will deliver on our promises to our clients, our people and our investors. For our people, our vision means attracting, inspiring, developing and rewarding our people to work with the best clients and on the biggest challenges, thus creating valuable careers. We achieve our vision in a sustainable manner by maintaining and living our ERM values that include Accountability, Caring for our People, Client Focus, Collaboration, Empowerment, and Transparency.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
ERM is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!