- Halton Healthcare
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
Position: Unit Clerk
Department: Medical/Surgical Unit
Hours:Various rotating shifts- Days & Evenings,8 and 12 hour shifts (subject to change based on operational requirements)
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions. We are a distinctive centre of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
The enhanced new Medical/Surgical Inpatient Unit including services for general medicine and general surgery has a dedicated and ambitious multidisciplinary team whom are committed to providing exemplary patient and family centered care. The day to day activity of the unit is ever changing as the patient population and diagnoses are so diverse. The unit is supported by a Clinical Resource Nurse, a Professional Practice Clinician and a Patient Care Manager. Halton Healthcare is proud to be an employer of choice who encourages staff to engage in continuous learning and take part in leadership initiatives in order to help realize their career goals.
This is what you’ll be doing:
Duties will include a variety of reception and clerical functions including registering patients; answering telephone;completing requisitions; transcribing doctors' orders; scheduling appointments; ordering and maintaining inventory of supplies; filing; data entry on computer system;staff scheduling.
- Enters lab orders in Meditech
- Transcribes physician orders
- Updates information in McKesson Visibility in collaboration with the Clinical Resource Nurse
- Validates healthcare coverage
- Validates appropriate insurance information
- Creates and closes treatment records
- Answers telephone
- Addresses inquiries from the public, family and hospital staff
- Completes various clerical tasks/audits as required
- Assembles charts
- Works with accommodation staff to identify opportunities to meet patients preferred accommodations
- e-Schedule entries, edits and staffing calls as necessary
- Enters Maintenance and IS requests as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
This is what you’ll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Recent Medical Office Administration diploma or certificate from a recognized college required and/or aminimum of 1 year recent relevant experience in a similar clerical role in a clinical setting required
- Medical terminology certificate required
- Must have experience with the Meditech Patient Information System
- Must have experience with other patient care related databases i.e. Critical
- Familiarity with computers and accessory equipment – printers, scanners
- Advanced keyboarding and extremely accurate data entry skills required
- Must have experience using Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Minimum of 30 wpm typing speed required
- Accurate spelling is required
- Able to work with minimal supervision and to prioritize work
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonaland organizational skills
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English fluently
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skillsand the ability to diplomatically respond to physicians, staff and family inquiries in a demanding work environment
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position which involves frequent sitting, standing and reaching
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record required
The ideal candidate demonstrates strength in family centered care and is able to work in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment and be ready to embrace change and innovation. We require a person with excellent clinical and communication skills with a clear patient focus and the ability to inspire, influence and advance collaborative teamwork.
Preference will be given to those applicants with greater than 2 years’ Unit Clerk experience in a Medical/ Surgical In-patient unit setting.
Salary: $20.26 to $25.29 per hour
Date Posted: October 6, 2020
Internal applications due by: October 13, 2020
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products, We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.