Occupational Health and Safety Inspector – Construction
- Ontario Ministry of Labour
- 1,415.00 - $1,739.00
- Job Category
- Government Relations/Legislation
- Job Type
Occupational Health and Safety Inspector – Construction
Bring your construction knowledge and experience to the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Enforce the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations
• Conduct comprehensive inspections and investigations, and write orders and reports
• Engage in enforcement activities including prosecutions
• Work with health and safety partners, workers, and union/management to promote safe work practices and working conditions with workers, unions and management through the Internal Responsibility System (IRS)
How do I qualify?
• You hold a valid class “G” driver's licence or equivalent as recognized by the Province of Ontario to travel throughout the designated service area
• You have the ability to travel extensively, respond to after-hour calls, and work evenings and weekends as part of regular scheduled work
• You have French language oral communication skills at the advanced level for bilingual positions
• You have working knowledge of and practical experience in a broad range of construction settings
• You have experience with various construction techniques, construction equipment, and health and safety hazards and controls
• You have the ability to enforce, interpret and apply legislation
• You have the ability to conduct inspections and investigations including interviewing experience and experience handling evidence
• You have the ability to administer the Provincial Offences Act and evidence in court
• You have working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and relevant regulations, standards and legislation relevant to the appropriate construction sector including, but not limited to, WHMIS, Designated Substances, Trades Qualifications and Apprenticeship Act, window cleaning, asbestos, etc. relevant to the program
Analytical, Evaluative and Reasoning Skills:
• You have the ability to interpret information collected that may be technical in nature, assess whether employer's operation is in compliance with legislation, regulations, policies and standards, and determine strategies/action(s) to be taken
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
• You have conflict resolution and interpersonal skills that effectively impact and influence others to a logical or appropriate course of action respecting differing interests and conflicting priorities
• You have excellent oral and written communication skills including report writing
• You have sound planning and organizational skills to co-ordinate own workload
Other Important Skills:
• You have knowledge of computer information technology, computer databases and related software packages
Salary Range: 1,415.00 - $1,739.00
- 11 Permanent, 5001 Yonge St, North York, Toronto Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Driver's License History, Local Police Databases Search
- 1 Permanent, 435 James St S, Thunder Bay, North Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Driver's License History, Local Police Databases Search
- 1 Permanent, 51 Heakes Ln, Kingston, East Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Driver's License History, Local Police Databases Search
- 1 Permanent, 119 King St W, Hamilton, West Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Driver's License History, Local Police Databases Search
- 2 Permanent, 4273 King St E, Kitchener, West Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Driver's License History, Local Police Databases Search
- 1 Permanent, 159 Cedar St, Sudbury, North Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Driver's License History, Local Police Databases Search
- 2 Permanent, 2275 Midland Ave, Scarborough, Toronto Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Driver's License History, Local Police Databases Search
- 1 Bilingual Permanent, 5001 Yonge St, North York, Toronto Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Driver's License History, Local Police Databases Search
- 1 Bilingual Permanent, 4510 Rhodes Dr, Windsor, West Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Driver's License History, Local Police Databases Search
- 1 Bilingual Permanent, 159 Cedar St, Sudbury, North Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Driver's License History, Local Police Databases Search
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
How to apply:
- You are required to complete an application form. Please visit Ontario Government Website in order to download the application and obtain instructions on completing and submitting the application form.
- Read the job description and information to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number on the application form
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email and notify us at ConstructionatMLTSD@ontario.ca to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
- For all enquiries, please email us at ConstructionatMLTSD@ontario.ca
- Interviews may be held via use of technology (Skype, Zoom, Teams, etc) or in person where necessary
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
Collection of Information
Your personal information is being collected and will be used to determine your qualifications for employment with the Ontario Public Service, and for recruitment modernization initiatives. OPS Careers is an authorized common service in accordance with s. 6 of the Ministry of Government Services Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.25 and this collection of personal information is necessary to the proper administration of OPS Careers.
Please do not provide more personal information than what is asked of you. For example, do not include your social insurance number, photograph, or banking information, etc. with your application. We strongly encourage you not to provide us with information beyond that which is requested in the job posting.
If you have any questions about the collection, use, disclosure, or retention of your personal information, please contact us
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Friday, November 6, 2020 11:59 pm EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Policy Officer - Department of National Defence
Policy Officer Recruitment Programme
Two Canada Research Chair (Tier 2) Faculty Positi…
Indigenous Student Success Navigator
School for the Contemporary Arts - Tier 2 Canada …
Simon Fraser University, School for the Contemporary Arts
Provost and Chief Academic Officer