Equity, Diversion & Inclusion Specialist
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada's top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada's most beautiful campuses.
Western University's BrainsCAN initiative received a substantial $66 million investment from the Canada First Research Excellence Fund (CFREF) – the largest research grant in the university's history – providing a significant boost to ongoing research in cognitive neuroscience and imaging at Western.
Already ranked amongst the best in the world in cognitive neuroscience and neuroimaging, Western excels in the breadth of cognitive, computational, clinical, technological, and translational approaches required for understanding and intervening in brain function.
Western will partner with researchers at McGill University, who also received CFREF funding, to leverage complementary expertise to better understand disorders such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, traumatic brain injury, and schizophrenia.
Equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) strengthen the scientific community, and are integral for research innovation and excellence. Increasing diversity and gender equity is central to BrainsCAN’s strategic plan. The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Specialist will lead the effective implementation and embedding of EDI for BrainsCAN while working in partnership with a range of internal and external EDI stakeholders and groups including Brain Canada, Ontario Brain Institute and the Canadian Association of Neuroscientists. In accordance with BrainsCAN’s EDI strategic priorities, the incumbent will oversee BrainsCAN’s EDI related projects which are aimed at addressing systemic barriers in the research community, including those experienced by members of underrepresented or disadvantaged groups such as women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of a visible minority, and members of LGBTQ2+ communities. The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Specialist will seek opportunities to strengthen and integrate EDI into the delivery of BrainsCAN and partner EDI plans. The Incumbent will take an evidence-based approach to develop plans, policy, guidance and resources, contributing to the promotion and integration of equity and inclusion within all BrainsCAN programs and activities. The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Specialist will also provide guidance and advice on best practices while collaborating with a wide range of stakeholders to identify key areas of activity for BrainsCAN, while building confidence and commitment for change.
- Undergraduate Degree in diversity studies, social science or a related discipline
- Master of Professional Education (MPEd) in Equity, Diversity and Social Justice or Masters with a significant EDI component is preferred
- 5 years' experience leading Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) initiatives across an organization
- Experience in a research or healthcare environment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to, passion for, and knowledge of EDI
- Working knowledge of key EDI related legislation, concepts, issues and trends
- Experience of working with complex levels of data, producing data for analysis to support EDI work, providing expertise to colleagues and presenting data for a wide range of audiences
- Experience with reading, analyzing, and interpreting research related documents, and then synthesizing the information into digestible and relatable formats
- Demonstrated ability to collect and analyze equity data, and make recommendations to support the EDI strategy and initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver EDI training and learning resources that can be used within a range of technologies to support delivery
- Ability to work well with diverse groups at all levels within the organization and external parties, exercising appropriate judgment
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations that are clearly linked to the organization's strategy and goals
- Creative and proactive self-starter who possesses a high attention to detail, strong time-management and organizational skills
- Experience in coordinating and supporting an advisory committee
- Comfortable with working independently, as well as collaborating with teams
- Project coordination skills, with the ability to meet tight deadlines and achieve objectives
- Compelling and persuasive communication skills to engage individuals and teams inside and outside the University
- Verbal communication skills to translate information into easily understood terms, summarize information, and provide a rationale for action
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work beyond one's own unit
- Critical thinking skills to analyze problems, and collect information required to make an accurate conclusion
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Detail-oriented with an ability to function and process information with high levels of accuracy
- Ability to display a blend of diplomacy and persistency to achieve goals while working collaboratively
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference #20833, by midnight on November 10, 2020.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
More search results
Policy Officer - Department of National Defence
Policy Officer Recruitment Programme
Two Canada Research Chair (Tier 2) Faculty Positi…
Indigenous Student Success Navigator
School for the Contemporary Arts - Tier 2 Canada …
Simon Fraser University, School for the Contemporary Arts
Provost and Chief Academic Officer