Senior Environmental Scientist, Impact Assessment (Mid-Senior Level)
- ERM Consultants Canada Ltd.
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
Environmental Resources Management (ERM) is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, social and sustainability consulting services. We are currently seeking an outstanding professional to join our Vancouver office as a Senior Environmental Scientist - Impact Assessment to support our Mining projects. We are seeking an organized, hands-on professional with self-initiative, positive team attitude, and attention to detail to provide technical support to our clients to secure timely impact assessment and permitting decisions for capital projects.
The role requires experience in the mining sector with a strong understanding of environmental regulatory requirements in Western Canada, familiarity with environmental effects analysis, and an interest in applying knowledge and skills to solve complex challenges. The successful candidate will work with a wide range of technical disciplines in the natural and social sciences to prepare Environmental Impact Statements and other regulatory submissions, and will become a member of an extensive team of global environmental and social experts.
- Support ERM’s Environmental Impact Assessment and Planning team both domestically and internationally, including, but not limited to: environmental, social, cultural, economic and health impact assessments and associated management plans; environmental and social due diligence; and environmental permitting.
- Conduct tasks related to regulatory applications, including the preparation and review of impact assessment approach, methods and application content.
- Advise, liaise and make recommendations to clients’ project teams on strategic and complex environmental and regulatory issues.
- Work on multiple projects to manage ERM's execution of scope/budget/schedule to meet client's expectations and ensure high quality standards on project deliverables.
- Support preparation of proposals, including development of scopes and cost estimates, and participate in business development with existing clients and identified leads.
- Keep abreast of changes to global standards, Canadian federal and provincial impact assessment legislation and practices, and Indigenous rights and consultation law and best practices.
- Promote regulatory understanding within ERM Canada, including preparing materials to support sessions to share new developments in impact assessment, environmental permitting and other relevant areas.
- Participate in ERM’s impact assessment and licensing, regulatory and permitting technical communities.
- Mentor junior level consulting staff to develop their skill sets.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with other ERM employees worldwide.
QUALIFICATIONS & DESIRABLE SKILLS:
- Degree in Sciences, Resource Management, Social Science, Law, Environmental Planning or related field.
- 10+ years of consulting experience providing support for impact assessments and environmental permitting, working substantially within the mining sector.
- Expertise with Federal, Provincial and Territorial regulations and guidelines, including experience in projects subject to provincial and federal impact assessment processes (e.g., BC Environmental Assessment Act, Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012/Impact Assessment Act)
- Experience in projects subject to provincial and federal authorization under the Mines Act, Environmental Management Act, Water Sustainability Act, Land Act, Forest Act, Fisheries Act, and other related regulations, and the permitting/authorization processes.
- Excellent technical writing skills and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication, time management and organization skills.
- Demonstrated consulting skills – team player, eagerness to learn and grow, self-starter who takes initiative, versatile, and service-oriented mentality.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a demanding work environment.
- Bi-lingual in French or Spanish or other languages is an asset
If you are looking for new challenges and desire to be part of a leading company and work with specialized professionals with international standards, this will be your opportunity.
Who We Are:
As the world’s leading sustainability consulting firm, ERM is uniquely positioned to contribute to the environment and society through the expertise and energy of our employees worldwide. Sustainability is what we do, and is at the heart of both our service offerings and how we operate our business. ERM and our partners are driven by a dynamic vision: By 2021 we will be the clear leader in our chosen markets, we will double in value and we will deliver on our promises to our clients, our people and our investors. For our people, our vision means attracting, inspiring, developing and rewarding our people to work with the best clients and on the biggest challenges, thus creating valuable careers. We achieve our vision in a sustainable manner by maintaining and living our ERM values that include Accountability, Caring for our People, Client Focus, Collaboration, Empowerment, and Transparency.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter.
ERM welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
ERM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!
More search results
Policy Officer - Department of National Defence
Policy Officer Recruitment Programme
Vice-Provost (Academic Planning, Policy & Faculty)
Leaders International Toronto
Housing & Health Nurse
Non-Profit Portfolio Manager – Prince George
Director, Security and Emergency Services