- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
At Golder, we thrive on challenges.
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.
Do you have the desire to learn? The drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment?
Golder is seeking a Project Geotechnical Engineer to work in our Pittsburgh-area office located in Wexford, Pennsylvania. From this location, our team of geo-professionals provides services to clients in the transportation, oil & gas, mining, and infrastructure sectors, primarily in the northeastern US. This position provides an opportunity to perform geotechnical evaluations and calculations, write technical documents, conduct subsurface investigations, and provide field monitoring, testing and sampling for a variety of projects.
We are seeking a geotechnical or geological engineer with interest in geohazard identification, geotechnical investigation, and geotechnical design. The selected candidate must be comfortable with the use of technology in the practice of engineering and geology and working with project teams to support geologic and geotechnical projects. This position will include opportunities for working both outdoors and in the office with experienced teams on a variety of projects such as linear alignments for pipelines, transportation corridors, and infrastructure siting. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated education or field experience in geomorphology, geohazards, and geology of the Appalachian Basin.
Responsibilities of the role will include:
- Support and manage projects, with an emphasis on geotechnical engineering, design, and monitoring
- Prepare documents and review those prepared by junior staff, including engineering drawings, specifications, work plans, calculations, and cost estimates
- Scope, budget, execute, and interpret field work, reconnaissance, geotechnical instrumentation, and subsurface explorations, with senior technical advice and review
- Prepare geotechnical recommendations reports with senior review
- Interact with clients, including preparation for and participation in meetings, preparation of progress reports, proposals, and other correspondence, responding to client requests, and maintaining positive relationships
- Safely perform work in the office and field; fieldwork may occur out-of-town in all seasonal weather conditions, while using equipment (with an ability to lift and move approximately 50 pounds without assistance) and safely operating vehicles on behalf of the company
- Master's in geotechnical engineering preferred; Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, with geotechnical focus;
- Minimum of five years of experience including experience in the geotechnical engineering field
- FE/EIT registration will receive primary consideration
- Computer skills and experience with industry standard commercial computer software including Microsoft Office and basic engineering software
- Strong verbal communication, writing, analytical, and organizational skills combined with a positive attitude and an ability to work both independently and within groups, including with contractors and cross-discipline in-house designers
- Experience with field logging and sampling, slope stability, settlement, general civil design, and other geotechnical analyses
- Understanding of the importance of health & safety as a top priority and an enthusiasm to participate in Golder's associated programs
- Experience with earth retention, foundations, construction, and rock engineering
- Willingness to work on projects across business sectors, performing a variety of tasks, sometimes on short notice
- Enthusiasm for field work and travel (local and national) as needed for project and other needs
- Submittal of a cover letter with your application is appreciated
Your benefits at Golder will include:
- Employee owned structure
- Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
- Opportunity to deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment
- Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects
- On the job training, mentoring and coaching
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder is a leading, global employee-owned engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 40 countries, Golder's 7,000 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and power sectors.
Equal Opportunity Employment Statement
Golder is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, individuals with disabilities or other characteristics protected by law. Golder is a background screening, drug-free workplace.
To learn more about our company and culture click here to view The Promise of Golder video.