DIRECTOR, CONSTRUCTION SERVICES
Job ID: 3627
Location: Burnaby, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
DIRECTOR, CONSTRUCTION SERVICES
The Director, Construction Services is responsible for leading the development and enforcement of the BC Housing Design Guidelines and Construction Standards. He/she/they are accountable for the planning, organization, procurement, direction and control of construction activities of various development projects, ensuring successful completion within established budgets and timelines. The position provides oversight, supervision and technical advice to internal teams and management and external contract staff throughout the life of the project, and acts as an ongoing technical advisor and mentor regarding construction and construction management. The Director also is responsible to ensure that that proper commissioning occurs on all new construction and renovation building projects with the goal of ensuring optimal functioning of building systems. He/she/they put in place procedures and standards and recommends policy related to Commissioning requirements for the organization. The Director ensures value on construction projects through rigorous cost analysis, oversees costing support to project teams and maintains costing information to support program level initiatives.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in Architecture, Engineering (P.Eng), Quantity Surveying or other relevant discipline.
- Significant experience in design, developing building design guidelines, construction standards and construction contract procurement standards.
- Significant work experience in managing a variety of construction projects of varying size and type in the residential construction industry.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Significant knowledge and understanding of construction, construction project management, and construction commissioning principles, and related legislation, by-laws, building codes, building design, and municipal approval and inspection processes affecting high rise and low rise residential development and construction.
- Significant knowledge of strategies and practices pertaining to the planning, design, construction, renovation and commissioning of multiple unit residential buildings.
- Significant knowledge of strategies, standards and practices of managing large and complex assessment and planning programs
- In depth knowledge of sustainable construction practices and the methods and materials relating to the construction, development, remediation and renovation of multi-unit wood frame and non-combustible residential buildings.
- In depth knowledge of various practices relating to construction management including construction cost analysis methods and standard forms of construction contracts, including CCDC-2 and CCA 5.
- In depth knowledge of energy efficient design and building elements, and of the principles of value engineering
- Good knowledge of construction and market trends, and current knowledge of standard construction costs to resolve contract administration disputes, recommend consultant claims and change orders, and prepare budget estimates.
- Ability to learn and understand the Commission’s operations and housing programs and policies
- Ability to plan, implement, maintain, control and evaluate construction project activities, analyze and solve issues and make
- effective decisions to ensure assigned projects meet budgets, targets and goals
- Ability to review, analyze and understand project budgets and analyze construction costs
- Ability to provide technical leadership, direction and mentorship to staff in construction and construction management philosophies and practices
- Advanced negotiation, facilitation, conflict resolution, problem solving and consensus building skills
- Effective communication, interpersonal, and relationship management skills
- Effective project and technical leadership skills
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We invite and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers