HOUSING & HEALTH NURSE
Job ID: 3641
Location: VANCOUVER, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
HOUSING & HEALTH NURSE
The Housing & Health Nurse is responsible for providing assessment and consultative services for applicants and tenants with complex social and health care needs and/or behavioural problems. He/she/they provide training programs and critical event stress management defusing services; and liaise with regional and community health authorities, non-profit housing societies and co-operative housing groups. Housing & Health Nurse (HHN) currently registered as RN or RPN or both may provide direct service delivery to clients participating in BC Housing Programs and provide clinical oversight to other Housing and Health Services staff.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Degree from a recognized program for Registered or Psychiatric Nurses
- Eligible to practice nursing in the Province of British Columbia as a Registered Nurse (RN) or Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN)
- Minimum five years’ experience working with persons with psychiatric disorders and complex social and/or health care needs and/or behavioural issues in a community setting
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience suitable to the employer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of signs and symptoms of common medical conditions
- Considerable working knowledge of medications usually prescribed for common medical conditions
- Considerable knowledge of the signs and symptoms of common psychiatric disorders
- Considerable working knowledge of the use of psychotropic medications including contraindications, precautions, adverse effects and usual dosage and route of administration.
- Considerable knowledge of non-pharmaceutical treatment options for the treatment of psychiatric disorders
- Considerable knowledge and skills in psychosocial rehabilitation principles
- Considerable knowledge of the different types of mental health and/or addiction housing models
- Sound knowledge of substance abuse and the different types of treatment programs for substance abuse
- Sound knowledge of the role of community health resources and other social services
- Ability to provide consultation services, crisis intervention and initiate/coordinate referrals to external agencies for services
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to prepare assessment and consultation reports within established time frames
- Ability to independently plan, organize, and adapt to a changing workload
- Ability to establish workload priorities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to work with a diverse population from various socioeconomic backgrounds
- Ability to deliver training programs
- Ability to provide critical event stress management defusing services to individuals following a traumatic event
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to develop positive working relationships with other agencies and service providers
- Excellent assessment and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Requires travel and working periodic evenings. For positions outside of the Lower Mainland, extensive travel required.
- Valid BC Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle in order to respond to emergency and time-sensitive situations
- Please Note: Successful applicant(s) are subject to a satisfactory criminal record search and are required to maintain Security Clearance throughout their employment.
- Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver's license and satisfactory driving record is required.
- Due to the nature of this role, access to a reliable vehicle will be required
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We invite and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers
More search results
Complaint Navigator, Complaints and Practice Inve…
College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC
Executive Director - Chilliwack Division of Famil…
Harbour West Consulting
Indigenous Specialist-Community Engagement
Canadian Red Cross
Indigenous Specialist - Mental Health & Psychosoc…
Canadian Red Cross
Inuit Health Professionals Wanted for Travel Assi…