- Job Category
- Job Type
Due to continuing growth in our Future Energy practice, we are seeking a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer – Hydropower to join our Engineering Design Organization in Western Canada. Our preference is this person be based in our Edmonton, AB office but consideration will be given to other locations in Western Canada. This position will be integral in the development and growth of GHD's Western Canadian Engineering Design Organization.
This is a lifetime opportunity for individuals who are driven, passionate and looking to be challenged in their career development. We offer an opportunity to be part of a growing and dynamic employee-owned company that is driven by quality and is client-focused.
- Work closely with the Project Manager and Design Manager
- Provide strategic input into complex design options and solutions
- Participate in reviews with various governing agencies for code compliance
- Participate in design coordination meetings and address critical issues that impact external partners
- Develop or verify the technical scope and level of efforts required to deliver projects
- Write and edit technical reports and specifications
- Ensure client requirements including specifications and standards are integrated into the project
- Coordinate all aspects of mechanical design including analysis and calculations and selecting mechanical equipment, systems, and devices
- Be responsible for design deliverables including stamping and sealing of drawings and specifications.
- Ensure quality controls processes are being followed; including conducting QA/QC reviews on the work of other mechanical engineers, coordinators and BIM/CAD Modelers
- Participate in construction contract administration activities, including inspections and system commissioning
- Partner with the Project Manager and Design Manager on maintaining project budget and schedule, identifying gaps, and providing solutions to achieving the scope
- Mentor and develop junior staff
- Represent GHD at Client meetings
- Participate in business development and writing of proposals
Your Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s (B.Sc.) degree in mechanical engineering from a recognized university
- Registered Professional Engineer of Alberta with the ability to get licensing in other provinces in Canada
- Minimum of 15 years' of extensive mechanical technical design experience
- Experience in hydropower generation plants design and/or maintenance.
- Proven experience in mechanical design delivery for large multi discipline projects for complex hydropower
- Experience working in alternate delivery project environments
- Detailed understanding of local Agency (or equivalent) Codes and Standards related to hydropower plants is considered essential
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to deal with uncertainty, change and multiple priorities
- Team building and mentoring skills
Our commitment to you
Fostering gender balance, diversity and inclusion, and acceptance of flexible working is central to the way GHD does business. We offer a professional, friendly and inclusive culture based on our core values of Safety, Teamwork, Respect and Integrity.
In addition to a competitive salary, GHD provides attractive career options including professional development via our GHD Business School, additional leave, and family-friendly flexible work arrangements.
Be a part of a high functioning team, where everything we do is inspired by a level of passion and professional pride that comes from being employee owned. This ownership is what sets us apart and means our people enjoy an unrivalled amount of autonomy in their roles. It helps drive our passion and accountability in how we serve our clients, deliver projects, and pursue new opportunities.
So, do you have what it takes: passion, collaboration, imagination and values that match our own?
As one of the world’s leading professional services companies, GHD delivers iconic projects that shape our landscapes, support our communities and set the path of our collective future. To do this, we actively seek and nurture the very best people in their respective fields to join our team of over 10,000 professionals operating in the markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
In return, we offer remarkable career shaping opportunities to extend your skills and gain global experience.