MAINTENANCE WORKER (UP TO 2 POSITIONS)
Job ID: 3661
Location: LOWER MAINLAND, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
As a BC Housing Maintenance Worker you will be provided the use of a BC Housing utility van to perform your work provided you have a Class 5 Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record. You will use your knowledge & skills to perform a variety of troubleshooting, maintenance and repair duties, including:
- Repairing/replacing receptacles, ballasts, switches, fans, electrical fixtures, baseboard heaters, change breakers, smoke alarms, thermocouples, and repairing/replacing damaged wiring;
- Repairing/replacing plumbing fixtures, including toilets, sinks and basins, as well as water lines, and sanitary and storm piping;
- Replacing counter tops, cupboards, wall tiles, and sheet vinyl, installing doors, replacing locks on doors and windows, and repairing railings;
- Cleaning gutters and debris from roofs, replacing shingles, flashing repairs and emergency patching and caulking, snaking drains with power augers, and repairing and constructing fences, gates and concrete sidewalks, patios and ramps;
- Operating a BC Housing vehicle, including trailers, to load, unload and deliver materials, tools and equipment and/or employer’s assets;
- Performing routine repairs and maintenance to appliances, equipment and HVAC equipment;
- Redirecting contractors where minor deviations in the performance of work specifications are noted, and reporting on major deviations in contract performance on modernization and improvement delivery programs;
- Ensuring adherence to safety procedures/practices when dealing with hazards;
- Utilizing tact and diplomacy, as required, referring tenants to other staff where appropriate, and occasionally exercising interpersonal and conflict resolution skills when dealing with tenants with complex health and social issues when other resources are not available;
- Responding to emergencies, including non-maintenance calls when the Building Manager is not on site, and making emergency repairs or calling emergency services (police, fire, mental health);
- Performing minor electrical, plumbing and carpentry maintenance and emergency repair duties listed for Building Manager in Appendix B, Part 1, such as changing fuses, resetting thermostats, snaking drains and replacing hardware
- Maintaining own inventory of tools. Employees shall receive a tool allowance of $750.00 annually to cover the replacement cost of personal tools as per article 11.16 in the Maintenance Service division of the collective agreement.
- On Call Allowance provided
The skilled Maintenance Worker required by this role will have:
- a high school diploma and two years' related maintenance experience
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- a valid Class 5 BC driver’s licence and satisfactory driving record.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer.
- Please Note: Successful applicant(s) are subject to a satisfactory criminal record search and are required to maintain Security Clearance throughout their employment.
- Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver's license and satisfactory driving record is required.
- *An eligibility list may be established*
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers
More search results
Vice-President Membership, Sales, and Indigenous …
First Nations Housing & Infrastructure Council (FNHIC-BC)
President and Chief Executive Officer
Toronto Community Housing Corporation
Vice President, Advancement and External Relations
Memorial University of Newfoundland