Director, Security and Emergency Services
DIRECTOR, SECURITY AND EMERGENCY SERVCIES
Job ID: 3664
Location: BURNABY, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing is committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We encourage and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
DIRECTOR, SECURITY AND EMERGENCY SERVCIES
Reporting to the Vice President & Registrar, the Director Security & Emergency Services is responsible for building relationships of trust with internal and external parties and staff to influence, inform and support the effectiveness of strategies and programs pertaining to the safety, security and emergency preparedness of staff, housing developments, tenants, and the organization, and facilitates their implementation across the province. He/she/they leads the Business Continuity Plan program, the Rapid Damage Assessment Program, the Emergency Group Lodging Program, the fire safety and prevention programs and services, and the Commission’s Emergency Social Services Partnership Program in support of the provincial ESS program. The incumbent oversees the Emergency Lodging Stockpiles Program and the development of plans and strategies for emergency flooding, severe weather and seismic risks. The position oversees safety and security audits, conducts investigations and leads the coordination of emergency responses. He/she/they provides direction and departmental support of the provision of security services and access control management for all residential building portfolios. The Director provides advice and leadership to staff, facilitates discussion and resolution of emerging issues, informs strategic decisions in addressing their business continuity, security and emergency management requirements, and manages relationships with other government and non-government authorities. This position maintains a working familiarity with the strategic business lines and responsibility of the organization and the Ministry to take a senior leadership/advisory role at the Interagency Emergency Preparedness Council during activations of the Provincial Emergency Coordination Centre, and at similar planning and recovery meetings.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Criminology or relevant field.
- Considerable experience in developing security and emergency programs and strategies. Considerable experience training in adult education principles, experiences in developing and delivering training programs in this field.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the Employer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- In-depth knowledge of the philosophies and practices related to security and emergency/disaster response, including high risk and vulnerability analysis, critical infrastructure assessment, and consequence management
- Ability to learn and understand the Commission’s, security and emergency preparedness requirements
- Ability to learn and understand the Commission’s mandate as it relates to emergency services, and the mandate of other Ministries, Agencies and Crown Corporations with related emergency roles
- Ability to plan and manage the development, implementation and monitoring of security and emergency services programs
- Ability to supervise and motivate staff
- Ability to establish and maintain constructive working relationships with various internal and external stakeholders including housing societies and government agencies
- Ability to analyze complex situations, determine appropriate courses of action, evaluate risk and make decisions
- Effective planning, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective leadership, negotiation, coaching, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We invite and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers
More search results
Vice-President Membership, Sales, and Indigenous …
President and Chief Executive Officer
Toronto Community Housing Corporation
Vice President, Advancement and External Relations
Memorial University of Newfoundland