- Job Category
- Science and Research
- Job Type
Join a global professional services leader. We are committed to solving the world’s biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization.
GHD’s Halifax Spill Response Group offers a wide variety of multi-discipline engineering experience and opportunities for the successful candidate. Our Team offers 24/7/365 response services to our clients in the transportation, insurance, and industrial industries (among others) within the Atlantic Provinces and occasionally across Canada and the US, providing support for various emergency incidents including; train derailments, pipeline releases, industrial fires, trucking accidents, chemical spills, residential heating oil release, etc. Some of these incidents require immediate response and quickly turn into short to long term environmental remediation projects for GHD. Some of the environmental engineering services our Team provides include, environmental investigation, air monitoring, soil and groundwater remediation, water resources and storm water management, underground tank removals, regulatory compliance assistance, and Phase I and Phase II environmental site assessments for both spill response and historical long-term environmental projects.
Due to continuing growth, we are seeking an Environmental Scientist/ and/ or Engineer with experience in environmental investigation and remediation to join our Spill Response Team in our Halifax, NS office.
The Successful Candidate will be responsible for:
- Conducting field work including; groundwater/soil sampling, water level monitoring, investigative drilling, monitoring well installation, soil and groundwater remediation (excavation, in-situ, etc.), contractor oversight, air monitoring, stream and river rehabilitation, site restoration, and construction inspections for both emergency spill response and long-term environmental investigation and remediation projects
- Assisting with the preparation of technical reports including environmental investigation and closure reports, remedial alternative / design / action plans, design project specifications, bid documents, regulatory submissions, and emergency response plans
- Assisting Project Managers with preparing proposals, work plans, cost estimates, memorandums, letters, tables, figures, presentations, etc.
- Performing data compilation, interpretation, and evaluation of environmental regulations for the preparation of engineering reports
- Assisting Project Managers with coordination of field activities including coordinating field personnel, analytical laboratory project set up, and procuring subcontractors and equipment
- Assist with coordination of internal GHD technical resources and support staff including drafting, database, chemists, and other personnel
- Reviewing, understanding, and interpretation of provincial and federal acts and regulations
- Travel to sites throughout Atlantic Canada and occasional travel throughout Quebec and across Canada
Desired Skills & Experience
- Graduate with postsecondary education (environmental or water resources technologist, engineer or science diploma or degree)
- 0 to 5 years’ engineering experience, co-op or full-time experience working in the consulting field would be considered an asset
- Experience conducting field work is preferred and willingness to travel to undertake field work is required. Field demands can include working extended hours, working in inclement weather conditions, and heavy lifting (a 70/30 field to office ratio is expected initially, the percent of field work would decrease over-time as the successful candidate gains experience)
- Flexible availability to assist with emergency spill response work (including weekends and nights) for clients when required (Note: emergency response services in this group are carried out as a team, the successful candidate would not be required to respond to every emergency event)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to be able to meet deadlines
- Experience managing multiple tasks while maintaining a high degree of attention to detail in a consulting environment is considered an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively express technical information to multiple audiences including subcontractors, field staff, clients, colleagues, etc.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work effectively in both and individual and team environment
- Field work will require working long hours, working in inclement weather conditions, and lifting up to 50 lbs
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Bilingual would be considered an asset
Being the best we can be is in our culture.
We are a family of smart, innovative and creative problem solvers. In our employee-owned company, everything feels like it matters more. Challenge us and help us come up with new solutions to ensure water, energy and urbanization are made sustainable for generations to come.
Our commitment to you
Commitment is a powerful word that defines how we do business, how we serve our clients and how we care for one another. We will support your needs by giving you the tools to do your best work and then recognize achievements. We will set your curiosity free to allow brilliant minds to do their best work. We will invest in new ideas, removing barriers where we can. Finally, we will encourage you to collaborate with thousands of diverse people across our global business.
Who we are
We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization. GHD is a global professional services company that is a leader in engineering, construction and architectural expertise. Established in 1928, we remain wholly owned by our people. We are 10,000+ diverse and skilled individuals, yet we are proudly ‘One GHD’ across more than 200 offices, spanning five continents – Asia, Australia, Europe, North and South America, and the Pacific region. Delivering extraordinary social and economic outcomes, we are passionate about building lasting relationships with our partners and clients.