- Job Category
- Job Type
Join a global professional services leader. We are committed to solving the world’s biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization.
Our EDO (Engineering Design Organization) is looking for a dynamic and motivated individual to take on the role of Structural Discipline Engineer.
Reporting to the EDO BGL (Business Group Leader) and as a member of the EDO team, the successful candidate will contribute to and be responsible for all engineering aspects of multi-discipline projects in various markets and businesses. With a strong background in structural design and delivery, you will be focused on helping build our EDO delivery capacity. The Structural Engineer will also support projects in all of our Markets, including Water (Water/Wastewater Treatment, Linear Water, Water resources) Energy and Resources, Environmental (Solid Waste, Landfill, CAR), and Property and Buildings.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assist in executing existing and new projects
- Ensure timely completion of project deliverables and able to manage several projects at once and determine priorities, including sound judgement and decisiveness
- Produce engineering drawings and details from conception to final design, according to established standards and procedures for a wide variety of steel and concrete structures
- Supervise CAD staff, preparation of construction specifications tender and contract packages, and conduct site inspections of existing structures as well as those under construction
- Communicate and work with other project team members to provide quality service to clients to ensure that all documentation conforms to client/company standards
- Prepare effective proposals seeking targeted project opportunities
- Develop and implement QA/QC processes for project work
Qualifications, Skills & Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Licensed Professional Engineer in Ontario and Western Provinces
- Minimum 10 - 15 years of structural engineering experience in industrial type projects
- Excellent understanding of structural systems and practical design experience of designing water-retaining structures, earth retaining structures, clarifiers, digesters, pre-engineered buildings and their foundations, shallow and deep foundation systems, buried structures and small to mid-size buildings
- Conversant with National building Code - NBC and provincial building codes, CSA codes for design of steel, concrete, masonry and wood structures
- Structural arctic design knowledge and experience
- Ability to take ownership and accountability for completed work
- Strong influencing skills and the ability to develop effective and trustworthy relationships both with project teams and within the organization
- Strong problem solving and decision making abilities
- Strong computer skills including experience in structural analysis and design software (such as SAP 2000 and ROBOT), AutoCAD, REVIT and MS Office
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Positive attitude and interpersonal skills
The following skills would be considered an asset for this position:
- Project management skills and budget and schedule controls
- Knowledge of other design codes such as Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code (CHBDC) and AASHTO
Being the best we can be is in our culture.
We are a family of smart, innovative and creative problem solvers. In our employee-owned company, everything feels like it matters more. Challenge us and help us come up with new solutions to ensure water, energy and urbanization are made sustainable for generations to come.
Our commitment to you
Commitment is a powerful word that defines how we do business, how we serve our clients and how we care for one another. We will support your needs by giving you the tools to do your best work and then recognize achievements. We will set your curiosity free to allow brilliant minds to do their best work. We will invest in new ideas, removing barriers where we can. Finally, we will encourage you to collaborate with thousands of diverse people across our global business.
Who we are
We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization. GHD is a global professional services company that is a leader in engineering, construction and architectural expertise. Established in 1928, we remain wholly owned by our people. We are 10,000+ diverse and skilled individuals, yet we are proudly ‘One GHD’ across more than 200 offices, spanning five continents – Asia, Australia, Europe, North and South America, and the Pacific region. Delivering extraordinary social and economic outcomes, we are passionate about building lasting relationships with our partners and clients.