- Job Category
- Science and Research
- Job Type
GHD has an excellent opportunity for a Junior Hydrogeologist/Technologist to join our team of highly motivated hardworking professionals, committed to delivering high quality service, located in the Waterloo, ON office. The position requires a Bachelor's degree in Earth or Environmental Science or College Diploma in Environmental Engineering, Geology or related subject. Upcoming or recent graduates are encouraged to apply. Applicants with 1 to 3 years’ experience in hydrogeology will also be considered.
In this role, you will work with our team of hydrogeologists, engineers and technical staff to complete hydrogeological components of multi-disciplinary environmental studies, on a variety of projects. The projects may include landfills, rural and urban development, infrastructure projects, aggregate resources, water supply, environmental assessment and other projects.
• Field work – undertake utility clearances, borehole drilling, test pitting, soil description core logging, monitoring well installation and development, soil/groundwater sample collection, hydraulic testing (single well response test, packer testing, pumping tests, infiltration tests), groundwater level monitoring, and water well surveys
• Report Preparation - data processing, evaluation, and interpretation, using a variety of software tools including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Aqtesolv
• Project co-ordination – carry out hydrogeological field programs as the need arises, including liaison with subcontractors, e.g., drillers and laboratories
• Budget control - prepare subcontractor purchase orders, and control costs related to field activities
• Prepare permit applications, e.g., Road Occupancy Permits, Permit to Take Water, Sewer Use Discharge Permits.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Earth or Environmental Sciences (Hydrogeology specialization) or College Diploma in a related field (Environmental Engineering or Geology)
• Eligible for professional registration within Ontario as P.Geo. or ability to meet the Geoscientist-in-Training (G.I.T.) requirements, or eligibility to register with OACETT as a C.Tech or C.E.T.
• 1 to 3 years of experience in hydrogeology/geoscience is also an asset
• A valid Ontario Driver’s License.
• Travel will be required in this position. The successful person must be prepared to undertake field assignments, including throughout the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and Province, as dictated by project demands.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team
• The ability to manage time, meet deadlines and budgets, and prioritize
• Comfortable working outdoors in a variety of site environments
• Strong analytical and technical writing skills
• Mechanical aptitude would be an asset for trouble-shooting and problem solving equipment in the field.
Being the best we can be is in our culture.
We are a family of smart, innovative and creative problem solvers. In our employee-owned company, everything feels like it matters more. Challenge us and help us come up with new solutions to ensure water, energy and urbanization are made sustainable for generations to come.
Our commitment to you
Commitment is a powerful word that defines how we do business, how we serve our clients and how we care for one another. We will support your needs by giving you the tools to do your best work and then recognize achievements. We will set your curiosity free to allow brilliant minds to do their best work. We will invest in new ideas, removing barriers where we can. Finally, we will encourage you to collaborate with thousands of diverse people across our global business.
Who we are
We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization. GHD is a global professional services company that is a leader in engineering, construction and architectural expertise. Established in 1928, we remain wholly owned by our people. We are 10,000+ diverse and skilled individuals, yet we are proudly ‘One GHD’ across more than 200 offices, spanning five continents – Asia, Australia, Europe, North and South America, and the Pacific region. Delivering extraordinary social and economic outcomes, we are passionate about building lasting relationships with our partners and clients.