- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
The ABB's Process Industries (IAPI) team engineers and delivers automation solutions from device to monitoring and control, ensuring our customers get the most out of their investment. Our digitalization solutions help improve plant and enterprise productivity, while reducing maintenance and energy costs. Deep domain knowledge enables us to truly understand and address the challenges and opportunities of Industrial Automation.
Reporting to the HSE Manager for North America, the HSE Manager will be responsible for supporting the Business Unit delivering Automation and electrical solutions to industrial customers in Canada mainly but also across North America, providing HSE leadership & improving Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) performance.
- At tendering stage, fill in the client HSE questionnaire, review HSE client requirements and list HSE exceptions and clarifications.
- Lead all HSE related activities on project sites. This includes the development of site-specific documentation, providing site HSE support, liaising with site management and personnel, the client and government officials.
- Establish and maintain project specific HSE plans including effective risk management, HSE risk assessment, control measures, emergency response plans and applicable laws and regulations.
- Organize and provide necessary HSE training packages adapted to Business Unit and deliver training sessions for ABB employees and ex-pats assigned to projects (e.g. task observation and feedback, HSE planned inspections, incident investigations, Lockout / Tagout, electrical safety, confined space entry, etc.).
- Implement and maintain ABB Health, Safety and Environment Management System following the requirements of ABB Way, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, OHSAS 18001 and COR standard requirements.
- Perform HSE Management System and project sites internal audits in accordance with the HSE plan of the business unit or project, as well as due diligence requirements.
- Prepare monthly reports related to HSE performance indicators for management review, and suggest corrective/preventive actions addressing trends in data that reveal opportunities for improvement.
- Demonstrate with management and employees of the business unit, leadership, communication and coaching skills in HSE related improvement projects.
- Conduct Incident Investigations, report in accordance with ABB Incident Reporting Protocols, perform immediate and root causes analysis of incident using Intelex ABB's integrated HSE Management System and coordinate the quick and safe return to work WHSCC / WCB / WSIB / CNESST of any injured employee.
- Maintain the applicable HSE laws regulations register and ensure they are covered in the business unit HSE management system operational controls.
- Present proactively HSE concerns to the business unit management team and contribute in a practical way to the problem-solving process. This is to ensure the HSE's proactive management of the business unit.
- Participate, as required, in local, country or Business Unit committees, meetings, conferences and other activities, on HSE or sustainability.
- Demonstrate with management and employees of the business unit, leadership, communication and coaching skills in HSE related improvement projects
- Drives behavioural change to continuously improve performance through coordinated business-wide programs and initiatives. Supports the sharing of best practices and applies business standardized processes to deliver consistent support within the respective organization. Ensures capability is built through training.
- Bilingual (French/English) is a must.
- College/University graduate in Occupational Health and Safety or in Environment and/or pertinent certification or degree would be an asset.
- Five (5) to ten (10) years of industrial/construction experience in a similar or related field operations position is a must.
- A thorough understanding of workshop/field HSE issues with the ability to quickly and pro-actively support managers in the implementation of appropriate corrective and preventative measures.
- Capable of working and delivering in complex working environment and under pressure.
- Experience in Electrical Safety would be a definite asset.
- Excellent knowledge of provincial and national HSE legislative and regulatory requirements is a must.
- Safety Professional accreditations (CRSP, CSP, CIH, etc.) would be an asset.
- HSE auditing accreditation would be beneficial (ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 or similar).
- Strong knowledge of ISO 14001, OSHAS 18001 ISO 45001, and CSA Z462 or NFPA 70E standards/guidelines/specifications would be a definite asset.
- Excellent, leadership, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Excel, Word, Power Point, Project, Visio, etc.) is a must.
- Adept at strategic thinking - look for solutions outside the box, strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Valid driver's license (drivers abstract required) is a must.
- Familiar with the following industries: Mining, Paper and Primary Aluminum would be an asset.
- Be available to travel up to 30% of time in support of HSE implementation, audits and training.
More about us
Named to Forbes 2020 list of top 15 employers in Canada, ABB values the dedication, commitment and expertise of our employees. ABB is an Employment Equity Employer and believes in an inclusive and diverse workforce. Committed to ensuring that all policies and practices respect the Employment Equity Program, we aim for our workforce to be truly representative of the four designated groups; women, aboriginal people, members of visible minorities, and/or persons with disabilities. ABB will provide reasonable accommodation to applicant with disabilities and encourage applicants to self-identify in the application process.
Reference Number CA76987522_E1 Publication date 2020-12-17