- Ranch Ehrlo Society
- Moose Jaw,SK
- Job Category
- Social Work
- Job Type
Location: Moose Jaw Position: Casual Childcare Assistant Posting Closing Date: January 19,2021
The Childcare Worker provides care for the social, emotional, physical, and cognitive needs of infants, toddlers, and children in a safe and healthy environment. The Childcare Worker oversees play and facilitates age appropriate activities while families attend treatment groups in the Family Treatment programs. The Childcare Worker is also responsible for training and overseeing other childcare workers and volunteers.
Education and Professional Certification
- Completion of a high school diploma.
- A certificate or diploma in Early Childhood Education, or an ECE 1, ECE II, or ECE III equivalency is an asset.
- Up to one (1) year of experience working with infants, toddlers, and/or young children.
- Direct experience as an Early Childhood Educator is an asset.
Skills and Characteristics
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to form meaningful relationships.
- Ability to lead through motivation, role-modelling, and support.
- Outgoing personality with interests that can be used to engage children (i.e. outdoors, arts, sports, etc.).
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Emotional competence and self awareness.
- Ability to display empathy, patience, and understanding in individual and family interactions.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to set clear, attainable goals and meet individual and program objectives.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to new situations.
- Ability to clean and maintain an organized environment.
- Ability to prepare developmentally appropriate snacks.
- Knowledge of the Canada Food Guide.
- Ability to identify childhood ailments or diseases through education and ongoing training (i.e. lice, hand, foot, and mouth disease, diaper rash, etc.).
- Open to continuous education and learning and development opportunities.
- Basic computer proficiency.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide childcare for families during treatment program groups, addictions programming, respite services, medical appointments, and other meetings with professionals.
- Facilitate parent-child interaction activities, providing developmental opportunities for parent-child bonding.
- Develop and implement activity plans for infants, toddlers, and children.
- Adapt programming to meet the needs and abilities of the children in coordination with the other team members.
- Maintain a therapeutic milieu.
- Support the children in all areas of development. Teach the children skills such as proper eating, dressing, bathroom habits, hygiene, positive self-concepts, and positive behaviours.
- Prompt children on the use of pro-social skills and behaviour management strategies.
- Submit written observations and assessments of each child to the supervisor.
- Share observations regarding childhood ailments or diseases with parents or guardians in a respectful and therapeutic manner.
- Discuss progress of the children with families and other staff members.
- Help children clean up after activities and role model a sense of responsibility and pride in their environment.
- Assist in the preparation of quality snacks for the children.
- Adjust the environment according to the changing programming needs.
- Change diapers and dress children.
- Document all incidents and updates such as; daily observations and assessments, injury reports, medication administration, and any other updates. Complete reports and documentation clearly, accurately, and in a timely manner.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Provide direction, guidance, and mentorship to new employees, potential employees, practicum students, and volunteers.
- Display positive role modelling, agency values, and fairness.
- Collaborate and communicate with the multidisciplinary team when required.
Management of Resources
- Identify required resources for daily activity plans.
- Coordinate and collaborate with community resources when required.
- Submit receipts and reconcile expenses for manager approved expenditures.
- Ensure care, cleanliness, and maintenance of assigned assets and resources including; building(s), furnishings, and equipment.
- Maintain, promote, and reinforce safe work habits, practices, and procedures.
- Adhere to written or verbal agency and government regulations, policies, practices, and instructions.
Hourly Wage for this position is $14.18 to $16.44, depending on experience
Any questions, Please contact Sharon Miller Family Treatment Manager at 306-526-6346