Social Impact Assessment Consultant (Associate Level)
- ERM Consultants Canada Ltd.
- Job Category
- Banking & Financial Services
- Job Type
ERM is seeking an experienced and motivated Social Impact Assessment Consultant to join our Canada team. The successful candidate will take a supporting role on social impact assessments, management programs, stakeholder engagement campaigns, and due diligence projects, particularly related to the mining and energy sectors. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record supporting projects in compliance with both Canadian and international best practice standards, working closely with clients and team members, and contributing to winning proposals. This is a full-time, permanent position.
In this role, you will be required to undertake short periods of travel as required based on project needs. This is a great opportunity for a mid-level professional looking to advance their career with a global leader in sustainability and social performance, and work with a high functioning team in Canada and across ERM’s other offices around the world.
- Support a wide variety of social performance projects related to mining, oil and gas, and other sectors. Expected project delivery activities include report writing, undertaking and organizing data collection and survey fieldwork, data and literature review, and development of recommendations for clients.
- Support project management activities including subcontractor management, health & safety protocol management, monitoring of commercial performance, quality review of deliverables, management of schedule and budget.
- Provide technical expertise and support projects related to impact assessment, stakeholder / Indigenous engagement, due diligence, risk assessment and mitigation, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Understand relevant regulatory requirements and other guidance, including provincial and federal permits and regulations, international standards (e.g., IFC Performance Standards, Equator Principles), industry guidance (e.g., ICMM) and others.
- Collaborate with other ERM global practitioners to execute projects. Participate on teams composed of multi-disciplinary professionals from multiple offices around the global ERM organization.
- Contribute to proposal development, including development of technical scopes and cost estimates in accordance with ERM’s policies and processes.
- Support client relationships to maintain new and repeat business.
- Work with other global ERM resources to deepen relationships with ERM key clients to expand ERM’s profile and market share through a combination of excellence in technical delivery and business development support.
QUALIFICATIONS AND DESIRED SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, economics, social science, social work, geography, public health, public policy, political science, resource management, anthropology or a similar degree.
- 5+ years of consulting experience, including impact assessment, in Canada and/or internationally.
- Experience working with a variety of project stakeholders including engagement and capacity building.
- Solid grasp of the key social performance issues, management challenges and opportunities related to resource development, especially mining and oil and gas sectors, and a high degree of technical competence and broad knowledge of social performance and impact assessment best practices.
- Versatile, responsive, and results-oriented, with strong critical thinking skills.
- Some experience developing and delivering presentations, trainings, and facilitation.
- Well-developed team-building skills and demonstrated experience working with a diverse team.
- Strong commitment to safety, including following established health and safety protocols;
- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including excellent writing skills in English.
- Bilingualism in Spanish and English is required. French language skills an asset.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Who We Are:
As the world’s leading sustainability consulting firm, ERM is uniquely positioned to contribute to the environment and society through the expertise and energy of our employees worldwide. Sustainability is what we do, and is at the heart of both our service offerings and how we operate our business. ERM and our partners are driven by a dynamic vision: By 2021 we will be the clear leader in our chosen markets, we will double in value and we will deliver on our promises to our clients, our people and our investors. For our people, our vision means attracting, inspiring, developing and rewarding our people to work with the best clients and on the biggest challenges, thus creating valuable careers. We achieve our vision in a sustainable manner by maintaining and living our ERM values that include Accountability, Caring for our People, Client Focus, Collaboration, Empowerment, and Transparency.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter. Based on review of these responses, shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews.
ERM welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
ERM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!