Diversity & Inclusion Officer
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our 400 lawyers are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York.
The Diversity and Inclusion Officer will lead the development and implementation of diversity and inclusion strategies and programs and advance the commitment to D&I practices to all Firm members. This role works closely with the Chair of the Diversity Committee and is a key Committee member, playing a critical part in leading our efforts in building an inclusive and diverse work environment, while working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
We are seeking an individual who is passionate about D&I issues, where collaborative approaches, relationship building, and problem-solving techniques will be used to influence meaningful change. The Diversity and Inclusion Officer is a change agent and will be knowledgeable on market and competitive trends, D&I principles and best practices, employment and human rights legislation and will have proven experience managing D&I initiatives.
- Plan, develop and implement effective programs to drive the Firm's progress on D&I strategies and reinforce diversity Firm-wide.
- Partner with legal professionals and staff teams to identify opportunities to embed D&I throughout all facets of the Firm’s workplace experience and employment life cycle.
- Collaborate with Legal Talent and Human Resources teams to identify opportunities and tactical measures to integrate D&I initiatives in talent processes. Enhance diversity pipeline to increase diversity of incoming student classes.
- Help cultivate and embed champions of D&I within the Firm, and provide them with the support, encouragement and expertise necessary to strengthen their commitment. Build strong and effective relationships with key internal stakeholder groups, affinity resource groups and employee networks. Manage related deliverables and content for internal committee activities.
- Develop metrics for measuring the effectiveness of D&I initiatives and provide meaningful data to key stakeholders, to create insight and influence opinion.
- Manage the collection of D&I data, such as the bi-annual demographic survey and related analysis of results, communication, and implementation of recommendations.
- Be a visible representative of the Firm's commitment to D&I, both internally and externally, finding meaningful ways to promote the Firm's progress (such as market recognition). Aware of market, community and association trends and programs.
- Work closely with the Firm’s marketing and communications team to develop internal and external D&I communication material. Create and manage D&I event calendar and associated communications.
- Act as a point person for D&I responses for pursuits, RFPs and client-related inquiries.
- Identify training opportunites and other events to promote and advance the Firm’s D&I initiatives.
- Budget/expense management for all D&I related expenses.
Education and Experience
A relevant degree coupled with experience in business management, law or human resources/industrial relations, or equivalent. Proven success in a key influencer role, ideally on D&I initiatives.
Knowledge and Skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset, passionate about D&I issues and influencing change.
- A thorough understanding of D&I principles and best practices.
- Collaborative and creative problem-solver. Ability to understand and enable diverse viewpoints and approaches. Ability to manage multiple stakeholder groups.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and collaboration skills.
- Advanced public speaking and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated superior judgement, tact and diplomacy required to address sensitive topics and effectively manage relationships.
- An aptitude to aggregate and validate data and develop insights for business stakeholders.
- Experience managing program/project management processes.
- Understanding and awareness of market and competitive trends and goals related to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Time management skills and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Experience and understanding of applicable Canadian legislation such as: Human Rights, Health and Safety, Employment Standards and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
More search results
Nch’kaỷ Development Corporation (NDC) – Chief Exe…
Financial Review & Budget Analyst
Access & Assessment Coordinator
Indigenous Internship Opportunities
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Director of the School of Public Policy
Simon Fraser University