Community Relations & Issues Specialist, Indigenous Relations
COMMUNITY RELATIONS & ISSUES SPECIALIST, INDIGENOUS RELATIONS (IND000B)
$64,598 - $90,100
10 Bay Street
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
We embody our values in everything that we do. We Serve with Passion, Think Forward, and Play as a Team. If you can relate, we want to hear from you!
Reporting to the Manager of Indigenous Relations, the Community Relations Specialist is responsible to develop and implement strong, positive and effective community relations and communications between Indigenous Peoples, Nations and organizations and Metrolinx.
What will I be doing?
- Develops and creates communication strategies that support and enhance Metrolinx’s Indigenous Relations Office through different channels such as educational information, in person engagement and building positive community relations
- Develops strong and effective relationships with Indigenous Peoples, Nations and organizations to meet Metrolinx’s Indigenous Relations efforts by:
- Communicating about Metrolinx’s projects with Indigenous Peoples, Nations and interested organizations
- Creates opportunities for Indigenous community engagement and outreach
- Developing, monitoring, and maintaining a communication/contact log to chronicle actions taken and results
- Developing communications and presentations to the affected/interested Indigenous Nations, organizations and customers
- Attending Indigenous community events to represent Metrolinx
- Works with communications staff to develop and implement meaningful communication strategies to support and enhance awareness, understanding and engagement for Metrolinx projects and services and their impacts on Indigenous Nations, organizations and customers
- Acts as community contact person for Indigenous relations matters
- Helps co-ordinate internal presentations, events and communications on Indigenous Relations matters
- Advises other employees on topics related to the incumbent’s area of expertise, but does not guide employees in their day-to day activities
What skills & qualifications do I need?
- Completion of a diploma in Indigenous Relations, Public relations, Communications or related field – or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent
- Minimum four (4) years’ experience in communications and Indigenous relations, customer service, or community relations
- Must have a valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s licence and must meet corporate standard for a good driving record. Valid driver licence must be maintained during the employment relationship and are a condition of employment.
- Previous experience in facilitating engagement sessions
- Modern communication techniques and software applications (e.g. desktop publishing, word processing, web-authoring).
- Excellent research and analytical skills to proactively assess and address issues affecting Indigenous people
- Strong oral/written/presentation communication skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and diplomacy to liaise with internal and external partners
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- In depth knowledge, lived experience and/or expertise in Indigenous communities’ priorities including familiarity with key Indigenous communities and cultural protocols
- Willingness to travel to First Nation and Métis communities
- Outdoor work is required for participating in events, with long periods of physical activity and exposure to all types of weather when visiting infrastructure sites
- Frequent and prolonged use of word-processing, desktop publishing, and web-authoring applications
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online through the Current Opportunities page https://metrolinx.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=IND000B&lang=en
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER