Job ID: 3811
Location: BURNABY, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a Provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Our mission is making a difference in people’s lives and communities through safe, affordable, and quality housing.
The Licensing & Consumer Services Branch at BC Housing provides consumer protection for new home buyers and improves the quality of residential construction. The Compliance Investigator reports to the Deputy Registrar-Compliance and fulfills the duties of the Compliance Officer as specified in the Homeowner Protection Act (the “Act”) and any regulations (the “Regulations”) enacted under the Act.
The Compliance Investigator performs audits of information from various sources and conducts investigations to ensure that residential builders within the Province of British Columbia operate in compliance. In this position, verbal and documentary evidence is gathered in a legal and procedural manner, and also provides background information for the preparation of evidence and the necessary documentation for utilizing the administrative tools.
The Compliance Investigator provides advice and information regarding Licensing & Consumer Services (LCS) policies and procedures and the application of the Act to residential builders, developers, owner-builders, municipal officials, warranty providers, realtors, lenders, lawyers, and all other interested parties.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline such as law, criminology or business administration
• Minimum 5 years experience working in a regulatory environment.
• Experience in conducting complex compliance investigations is an asset.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience acceptable to the employer may be considered
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Investigation Experience/ Knowledge of Homeowners Protection Act
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of the theories, principles, standards and practices of compliance auditing and investigation
• Strong knowledge of the residential construction industry, including its business practices and the municipal building process
• Strong knowledge of the Homeowners Protection Act and its Regulations, and of BC Housing’s programs and policies with respect to increasing consumer protection for homebuyers
• Ability to interpret other legislations, including the application of such legislations to diverse fact patterns
• Strong knowledge and understanding of the residential construction industry and the municipal building and permitting process in BC
• Knowledge and understanding of proceedings in administrative hearings, quasi-criminal hearings and civil court
• Ability to coordinate a large and diverse case load of audits and investigations involving extensive consultation with external parties and stakeholders
Communication / Analytical / Organizational Skills
• Strong analytical, research and problem-solving skills, and the ability to reason through complex issues containing competing interests
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship management skills, ability communicate with diverse audiences, and ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion, tact and diplomacy in difficult, potentially hostile and confrontational situations
• Strong report writing skills, including the ability to prepare and present Compliance Orders, recommendations for the issuance of Monetary Penalties and Reports to Crown Counsel
• Excellent note-taking skills and the ability to enter well written, self-explanatory notes within a Licensing Database in a timely manner
• Strong organizational skills, and ability to meet deadlines and adapt to changing priorities
• Ability to function with a high degree of independence, work under limited supervision and resolve issues effectively on site (NOTE: the job requires the employee to travel alone within BC from time to time and work on the road)
• Ability to work independently as well as function effectively as part of a team
• Excellent computer skills and good knowledge of and proficiency with applicable software programs
• Class 5 Drivers License; Clean driving record, clean criminal record check
• Ability to travel with short notice
Why Join the BC Housing Team?
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
• In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
• Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
• Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
• Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
• An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
• Participation in community and charitable events.
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We invite and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, Persons with Disabilities and Disabled People, persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers