Teaching and Learning Coordinator
Reporting to the Manager, Academic Initiatives (“Manager”) in the Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic), the Teaching and Learning Coordinator (‘Coordinator’) will perform a variety of complex administrative and coordination duties in a professional and efficient manner for the Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning). The Coordinator will be required to exercise a high level of independence and initiative in decision-making to achieve a multifaceted set of objectives. This includes establishing work priorities, maintaining a working knowledge of the organization of Senate protocols and Queen’s University Quality Assurance Processes (QUQAP), and representing the Office of the Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning) by participating on and supporting several senior-level committees and working groups. This includes the drafting of briefing notes, minutes and agendas.
Committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and Indigenization, the Coordinator is responsible for building strong relationships with organizational stakeholders to advance teaching and learning at the university. The Coordinator is responsible for managing and verifying content on the Teaching and Learning and Quality Assurance websites and will lead on record management for QUQAP.
- Coordinate the university’s Quality Assurance Processes, maintaining excellent working relationships with stakeholders. Act as a resource person for the process, providing subject-matter guidance to Associate Deans, unit heads, departmental staff, shared service partners, committee members, and Quality Council staff.
- Respond to inquiries from faculty and staff developing new program proposals and those working on cyclical program review. Topics include interpretation of guidelines, curriculum planning, and equity, diversity and inclusion. Where applicable, involve other appropriate individuals or academic units (e.g. Centre for Teaching and Learning, Human Rights and Equity Office).
- Maintain operating procedures, manuals, and policies ensuring Quality Assurance standards are met.
- In accordance with QUQAP, coordinate the approval process for new, expedited and/or modified academic programs in accordance with QUQAP policy. Work with program contacts to ensure they are on schedule.
- Manage the 8-year cycle of Cyclical Program Reviews (CPR) for academic programs in accordance with QUQAP policy. Organize orientation sessions, educate stakeholders and provide guidance regarding related processes and procedures.
- Implement and maintain a record-keeping system to track and support Quality Assurance Processes. This may include liaising with ITS regarding workflow development and monitoring changes to the Quality Assurance Framework.
- Update and maintain highly detailed Quality Assurance Templates. Maintain the Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning) website using WebPublish to make all QUQAP materials accessible to the university community. Work closely with the Centre for Teaching and Learning, the School of Graduate Studies and other administrative units to ensure information on the QUQAP website is current, dynamic and accessible.
- Coordinate, participate on and support standing and ad hoc committees and working groups chaired by the Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning).
- Record and distribute minutes, briefing notes, presentations and reports relating to strategic projects and programs within the portfolio of the Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning). Lead the development of communications and materials for the Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning) website and social media interfaces.
- Audit courses offered at the university to evaluate and report on those that build students’ skills and experience around equity, diversity, inclusion and Indigenization, promote globalization, and align with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Work with relevant committees to develop and implement a system to keep track of these courses.
- Administer special projects in support of the Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning) by researching and gathering data, organizing information into a useable form, disseminating and communicating knowledge and information, ensuring ease of access to resources or services, and providing general administrative support and liaison functions throughout.
- Provide back-up support to the other Teaching and Learning Coordinator and the Administrative Assistant to the Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning).
- Undertake other duties as assigned in support of the Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic). This may include support for Academic Integrity initiatives as well as other office priorities.
- Three-year post-secondary education in a related field with previous relevant experience in a high-profile office/client service environment.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and WebPublish, combined with previous experience creating and using spreadsheets and database applications.
- Knowledge of university structure administrative/financial/computing systems, academic programs and structures, and the field of teaching and learning will be considered an asset.
- Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Initiative, resourcefulness and ability to work independently with little supervision, assume responsibility for design, implementation and completion of projects, and make recommendations as required.
- Excellent project management, organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize work and manage conflicting demands in a high-pressure work environment.
- Good judgment and effective analytical abilities, combined with practical problem-solving skills to resolve administrative and service issues, make appropriate recommendations and contribute to strategic planning within the portfolio of the Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning).
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of professionalism, integrity and reliability.
- Ability to learn new software.
- Excellent attention to detail, writing and editing skills with the ability to draft and proofread strategic documents and reports to ensure accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written) and the ability to foster professional working relations with a wide variety of individuals.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality and handle matters with tact and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate the principles of equity, diversity, inclusivity and Indigenization into all aspects of operations, management and strategic planning within the portfolio of the Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning).
- A team-oriented approach and service-oriented perspective.
- Respond to numerous inquiries regarding QUQAP framework and make decisions about where to refer callers/visitors to ensure the inquiry is handled promptly. Provide follow-up as necessary, ensuring matters are handled to successful conclusion.
- Provide advice, support and recommendations on the processes, planning and finances related the Vice-Provost (Teaching and Learning) portfolio; this advice may be used as the basis for decisions made by the Vice-Provost and other senior staff within the office.
- Prioritize one’s own work, to ensure that both short and long-term projects and operations and make recommendations for action; determine options or a range of solutions to problems where no clear guidelines exist; complete work within necessary timelines.
- Determine content of procedures, manuals and the QUQAP website.
- Determine content and format of draft correspondence and minutes, ensuring it meets the standards of the Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic).
- Decide on how to deal with new information at hand. Recognize urgent requests and prioritize information that needs to be dealt with immediately.
- Make decisions regarding the dissemination of various types of sensitive and/or confidential information. Determine when to refer issues to senior staff.