Manager, Recruitment, Equity and Development
Loyalist is Ontario’s Destination College, empowering students, faculty, staff, and partners through experiential, industry cluster-based education, training and applied research programs. Located on more than 200 acres in the beautiful Bay of Quinte region, the College is perfectly positioned between Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal. Loyalist College is a close-knit community where students and their success come first. Loyalist provides personalized attention in small classes, rewarding field placements, and superior student services. Its Belleville, Bancroft, and Toronto campuses and Port Hope satellite location support programs and services for more than 3,000 full-time and 12,000 part-time students each year.
About the Position
We are a small but mighty People and Culture team at Loyalist College. We reflect and support a culture of care, lifelong learning, inclusion and success for our students, and our staff. You are someone who loves seeing people thrive in their career – starting from the moment they decide to apply to work with us, through to their ongoing learning and development. You see recruiting as the first, vital step in co-creating a diverse, vibrant community that reflects the reality of the world our students live in. You have first-hand experience in and/or direct knowledge of equity-seeking groups and you believe that our differences are as meaningful and valuable to a community as our similarities. You thrive as a builder. You have energy and enthusiasm, are willing to roll up your sleeves with us, and you want to make a genuine difference in a worthy organization. If this sounds like you, we’d love to welcome you as part of the team!
Reporting directly to the Vice-President, People and Culture with full sponsorship of equity, diversity and inclusion at Loyalist from the President and CEO, and College Executive Team, your first year with us will be working hands-on to recraft Loyalist’s recruitment process. You will lead the messaging around the Loyalist experience for staff and faculty on Loyalist’s new website. You will also work with the Vice President, People and Culture to begin to build relationships among equity-seeking groups and craft the process to co-create a diversity and inclusion approach for Loyalist that intersects with students and the greater community. In years two and beyond you will deepen and strengthen Loyalist’s work in equity, diversity and inclusion and turn towards building programs that support leadership development for a complex, interconnected and changing world.
- Provide motivating leadership to Loyalist’s recruiting function through expertise, mentorship, coaching and development.
- Working with Human Resources Advisors and in collaboration with College hiring managers, redesign and implement a recruitment process that reflects the values and strategic direction of Loyalist College, with diversity of strengths, perspectives, life experiences and abilities as its core.
- Lead the hiring process for key roles within the College.
- Refine and fully implement the HRIS recruiting module, aligning its capabilities to an updated recruiting approach.
- Connect with equity-seeking groups to build relationships and grow opportunities for talented individuals to see their place at Loyalist College
- Regularly and continuously analyze return on investment of sourcing strategies.
- Play a key role in the development of a recruiting strategy for the College.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Take a lead role for the College on equity, diversity and inclusion with the active participation of the Vice President, People and Culture, the sponsorship of the President and CEO and the full support of the College Executive Team.
- Stay current on relevant Human Rights and Employment Equity legislation, jurisprudence, relevant areas of the collective agreements and corporate human rights and employment equity programs.
- Act as a subject matter expert on issues and opportunities pertaining to diversity, equity and inclusion across the College
- Create and strengthen relationships with equity-seeking groups, in particular Indigenous students, staff, community members and leaders.
- With the participation of members of equity-seeking groups and the direct support of the Vice President, People and Culture, create an evolving plan of action with regards to equity, inclusion and diversity at Loyalist College.
- Lead workshops and dialogues with members of equity-seeking groups.
- Work with staff, students and community members to implement the plan of action over time
- Working in partnership with the Vice President People and Culture, promote the consistent use of an EDI lens on organizational policies, processes and systems.
- Advise on retainment, support and development strategies for diverse staff.
- Link leadership development to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Working with members of the People and Culture Team, and key College leaders, and with reference to Leadership Expectations for College leaders, begin to shape a developmental path for leadership at Loyalist College
- Source leadership development workshops and/or programs for the College for leaders and staff across all levels of the organization
- A passion for building a diverse, equitable and inclusive community
- A relevant combination of education and experience typically acquired through an undergraduate degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Organizational Development, Equity Studies or a related field
- Professional certification such as CHRP/CHRL, CCIP, CDP
- A minimum 10 years’ experience in progressive Recruitment and EDI roles
- Hands-on experience as a recruiter and using HRIS applicant tracking and recruiting tools
- Strong understanding of talent sourcing techniques and effective use of technology
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing others
- Knowledge and experience in applying relevant provisions of the Ontario Human Rights Code, Employment Equity and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
- Experience in researching, developing and implementing equity, diversity and inclusion projects, policy and/or education
- Experience in sourcing and developing workshops
- Proven ability to develop and sustain relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Experience as a change catalyst
- Exceptional teaming and collaboration skills
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your application, quoting the competition #ADM21-03N in the email subject line. Please send a covering letter and a resume in MS Word (docx) or PDF format no later than May 7, 2021 to:
People and Culture
Loyalist is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive college community. We encourage and welcome applications from marginalized and equity seeking groups. Loyalist College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If you have accommodation needs, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an email to email@example.com.
Please note: Following an offer of employment, candidates with Canadian credentials will be required to provide official transcripts from the granting educational institution(s); candidates with international credentials must provide World Education Services (WES) www.wes.org/ca evaluation (at their own cost) confirming Canadian equivalency of their credentials.