Assistant Director, Media Buying, Performance and Optimization
Assistant Director, Media Buying, Performance and Optimization
Are you a leader who can collaborate and deliver concrete results for complex, interesting problems? If you have a diverse skill set, can balance many responsibilities and want to work in an exciting, fast-paced environment, then look no further! The Marketing and Digital Strategy (MADS) branch in Cabinet Office Communications is looking for a savvy, strategic communications specialist with experience in media buying, marketing operations, marketing campaign performance, optimization and data analytics to join our team as an Assistant Director in the Media Buying, Performance and Optimization (MBPO) unit.
Town Hall Conference
We will be hosting a Town Hall via Zoom on Monday, June 7th from 6 PM to 7 PM and Tuesday, June 15th from 6 PM to 7 PM to provide more information on the position and answer any questions.
If you are interested in attending, please complete the registration form < https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=KRLczSqsl0u3ig5crLWGXFsw8K9IolhMt-P071rtyl1UM1U1MFBNN1hXTVQ4WDhWQ1RFREtFM1g5MS4u >and indicate your preferred date for the Town Hall.
Cabinet Office < https://data.ontario.ca/organization/cabinet-office > is the Premier's ministry. It provides the Premier and his Cabinet with advice and analysis to help the government achieve its priorities.
The MADS < http://www.infogo.gov.on.ca/infogo/#orgProfile/4027/en > team works with our ministry partners to provide best-in-class marketing, social media, digital analytics and media buying for government programs and initiatives. For us, it's all about a people-centred approach, ensuring the people of Ontario are aware of, and have access to, the services they need. It's about inspiring change to help Ontarians understand the decisions they can make every day to make life safer, easier and inclusive.
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to a diversity of identities, experiences, perspectives and skills. As part of this competition, we are conducting a voluntary survey to collect socio-demographic data to understand the experience of applicants as they move through the recruitment process, while also better understanding any potential barriers that may be experienced.
Your participation in the survey is anonymous and will contribute to efforts in building a more diverse, inclusive and accessible OPS.
Please visit the survey < https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=KRLczSqsl0u3ig5crLWGXG0Xvvns_r9Bj4FVAIZV2EVUQVoyUUNIUVhJTDhTRVBWUlFBNzNSS0VQVy4u > to learn more and/or to participate.
- Paid statutory holidays
- Pay in lieu of benefits with optional enrolment in our group benefit plan
- A defined benefit pension plan
- Flexible work arrangements
- Welcoming and professional work culture
- Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
The keys to leadership in the OPS
The OPS defines what it means to be a leader by the following expected attributes and behavioural competencies:
- You commit to the responsibilities of being a leader by demonstrating authenticity, accountability and bravery.
- You lead by embracing positive disruption, maintaining a future mindset and supporting staff development.
- You are people-centred and can lead your team with a common purpose by being inclusive, collaborating across boundaries and hierarchies, building effective networks and partnerships, and incorporating diverse perspectives.
What can I expect to do in this role?
The MBPO team is newly formed and the first for the government. As the Assistant Director, you will be responsible for leading the development, research, measurement and adoption of targeted and transformational digital communication, paid digital media (programmatic, video, social, search) and marketing strategies for government marketing and communications priorities. Working with a team of digital, marketing and communications experts, you will be guiding the vision to fully operationalize and deliver in-house media buying for the government.
As the Assistant Director, you will:
- Lead, and advocate for, the use of new technologies, including digital media buying, planning and reporting, as well as key communication and promotion tools.
- Set, maintain, and improve the processes that ensure digital media is delivered on budget and on time by the in-house team.
- Collaborate with internal or external vendor partners (e.g., Google, Adobe, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok) to maximize platform capabilities and act as a subject matter expert for the team
- Act as a lead partner in internal corporate transformational initiatives and corporate ministry programs.
- Provide expert advice and consultation to senior management on the most effective application of digital media technology.
- Provide advice on, or develop, strategic, agile and cost-effective paid digital media plans to meet campaign objectives.
- Lead and manage the development and implementation of campaign measurement and evaluation methods.
- Lead and manage the analysis and monitoring of digital media and design trends, markets, channels and issues.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with key partners and stakeholders.
- Present and advocate the ministry’s position at various forums.
- Manage a team of high-performing digital and marketing experts.
- Develop effective human resources through recruitment activities, labour relations and talent management, organizational design and succession planning.
- Sit on the branch’s Senior Management Team.
Location: 99 Wellesley Street West, Toronto
How do I qualify?
Leadership & Project Management Skills:
- Experience leading and mentoring teams, and managing resources and budgets
- Ability to work closely with senior leadership teams to provide advice on the development, and execution of paid digital media strategies
- Experience managing and developing relationships with business users and stakeholders to address and analyze information requirements
- Strong project management skills, including developing project plans, establishing priorities, settling schedules, creating measurement reports and providing costs
Strategic Thinking & Analytical Skills:
- Experience evaluating data-driven insights to identify opportunities for optimization of paid digital marketing campaigns
- Strategic and lateral thinking skills to encourage collaboration across the team and organization, and alignment of branch strategies to the objectives of the division/organization
- Ability to approach design problems and solutions with conceptual thinking, as well as the ability to forecast the scope and scale of projects and their correlating priorities
Interpersonal & Communication Skills:
- You have strong oral and written communication skills to consult with, and brief, a range of colleagues and partners, including ministry partners, vendors, and senior management
- You have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with various internal stakeholders across a variety of functional areas
- You have strong relationship management skills to liaise with senior Premier’s Office staff on high-priority and potentially sensitive projects
- You have demonstrated experience exercising tact, discretion and political acuity
- Profound knowledge of Google Marketing Platforms, Adobe Marketing Cloud, or similar
- Understanding of Search (e.g., Google, Bing, etc.) and Social Media Platforms (e.g., Facebook Business Manager, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Ability to provide insight and analytical mentorship on segmentation, data, and marketing strategies
- Understanding of the operational foundations of advertising technology (trafficking, budget management, creative process)
- Knowledge to advise on the development of marketing effectiveness dashboards (e.g., Data Studio, Tableau, or similar), reporting templates, and incorporating data from multiple sources (web/media analytics tools, social media monitoring tools and traditional market research)
- Ability to monitor and understand new technologies and approaches to formulate and present recommendations, strategies and options to support Cabinet Office and ministries’ communications goals and senior management decision-making
- Knowledge of accessible design best practices and related legislation and guidelines (e.g. Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Government Advertising Act) to ensure developed materials and projects comply.
Inclusion and Accessibility
We recognize that everyone brings unique skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! We believe that our differences are a form of talent, and each voice is valuable.
We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make MADS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services can only be realized if we can engage with a diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities/expression, national origins, disabilities, and ages. We also work hard to create a psychologically safe and inclusive working environment where employees are valued and have a sense of belonging.
The successful candidate may be required to undergo a satisfactory criminal reference check prior to the commencement of employment.
The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Salary Range: $90,348 - $135,178 Per Year
Please submit your cover letter and resumé as one document to email@example.com, by June 22, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST. Please quote “Assistant Director, MBPO Application” and Job ID 165181 in the subject line. Your application should not exceed five pages and your document must be named according to the following format: “FirstName LastName”.
Please indicate in your application where you heard about this vacancy.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/guide-your-rights-and-responsibilities-under-human-rights-code-0 >. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know.