Director, Risk Advisory
- Treasury Board Secretariat
- $130,930 - $175,070 Per Year
- Job Category
- Job Type
If you are a highly credible leader, who is skilled in modern risk management, can influence innovative outcomes and drive culture change, consider this newly created and pivotal executive opportunity with the Chief Risk Office of the Ontario Public Service.
As Director, Risk Advisory, you will lead and support the enterprise-wide implementation of the new, Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Directive and Framework. To accomplish this, you will support change management in ministries to successfully adopt risk management requirements through transformation projects, business model reviews and evaluations and culture change initiatives. You will also have the unique opportunity to work with and build partnerships with all levels of government, agencies and stakeholders while liaising with the Office of the Comptroller General including the Provincial Controller and the Chief Internal Auditor.
An effective leader in the Ontario Public Service (OPS) is responsible, innovative and collaborative. A responsible leader is someone who demonstrates authenticity, accountability and courage in how they interact with others. An individual who models ethical behavior, and who is honest and capable of making difficult choices. An innovative leader is someone who leads with common purpose, embraces positive disruption, and has a future mindset. An individual who inspires others, values continues learning and encourages development and integration. A collaborative leader focuses on helping others to grow, drives people-centered outcomes and promotes an environment of inclusivity. A leader who consistently works to confront bias and systemic barriers while understanding the importance of creating a more diverse and accessible workplace.
Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility and Anti-Racism
The OPS is an innovative, responsive, and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable. Diversifying leadership teams is a top OPS priority with the goal to achieve parity with the Ontario labour force by 2025 for the most underrepresented groups (Indigenous, racialized and persons with disabilities) in leadership positions. To advance this goal, the OPS is collecting socio-demographic information that will help to address potential barriers and achieve equity in hiring.
The OPS is an accessible employer and offers accommodation in all aspects of employment, including the recruitment process.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Reporting to the Chief Risk Officer, you will:
- Provide advice to senior management on strategic connections between multiple ministry programs and services, to ensure a cohesive risk assessment and implementation strategy.
- Lead a team of management and staff in developing communication strategies, frameworks and strong consultation networks.
- Build and maintain networks and strong linkages with the various senior executive groups to effectively lead internal communications and culture change across all levels of government.
- Build risk management community, capacity and capability across the enterprise as the Enterprise Risk Management Centre of Expertise.
- Lead ministry executive working groups and other key table discussions to clearly define and ensure shared understanding of risk management accountabilities, roles and responsibilities with the Chief Risk Office.
- Develop a long-term maintenance strategy that will ensure ongoing and sustained implementation of enterprise risk across the Ontario Public Service and provincial agencies.
How do I qualify?
- You have experience leading, motivating high-performing teams and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace through sound human resources practices.
- You are a transformational, innovative thinker who can plan strategically and can communicate a vision to those around you in transparent and easy to understand language.
- You are an effective communicator, negotiator/consensus builder and are able to work collaboratively with colleagues and divergent stakeholder positions.
- You are service focused, understanding that success in this role is largely dependent on motivating others to make change and understanding how to provide the most assistance to those required to change.
Relationship Management and Political Acuity
- You have demonstrated the ability to work collaboratively and influence change with senior executives and internal stakeholders.
- You have experience operating in a complex and/or politically sensitive environment.
- You have proven experience managing complex relationships and have used consultative issues management techniques to build strong linkages with your partners.
- You have strong diplomacy skills to provide strategic advice and recommendations to senior management regarding high-level issues and conflicts.
- You are a transformational, innovative leader that can plan strategically and communicate a vision to your team.
- You are driven to identify and effectively communicate the benefits for all parties impacted by the changes and are able to effectively motivate others to accelerate the pace of change.
- You are a proven and resilient change leader with a background in business transformation, developing strategic direction and championing best models and practices.
- You have excellent change management abilities, with knowledge of change management techniques and can embrace ambiguity and complexity.
Job Specific / Technical Knowledge
- You have significant, senior level experience with enterprise risk management that includes implementing an enterprise risk management program or serving as an enterprise risk management leader for a large/complex organization.
- You have strong technical knowledge and practical application know-how of leading modernized enterprise risk management practices (for example, ISO 31000 and COSO ERM), along with relevant educational experience such as CRM, CRMA, CPA, MBA – or equivalent.
- You have strong risk facilitation and advisory skills.
- You have experience collaborating with organizational executives to develop strategic solutions to address cross-cutting organizational risks.
- You have an understanding of the government’s vision, direction, and mandate in providing leadership and strategic direction for risk management across all ministries and provincial agencies.
- You have knowledge in the areas of policy and program development, financial management and business modernization.
Location: Toronto, ON
Salary: $130,930 - $175,070 Per Year
Duration: 1 Permanent
Please apply online, only, by Thursday, June 17, 2021, by visiting https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=164776. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Recruitment Unit at email@example.com.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.