Specialist, Consumer Marketing
- Travel Alberta
- Remote and in-person candidates will be considered
- Salary Range: $66,902.00 - $86,925.00 per year
- Job Category
- Marketing & Communications, Technology and Digital Media, Travel and Tourism
- Job Type
The Consumer Marketing Specialist supports consumer marketing partnerships, paid marketing and social media for Travel Alberta's Destination Promotion team. The Specialist role plays an integral part in the coordination and execution of the consumer marketing campaigns, ensuring the team can move our destination promotion strategy forward.
On a day-to-day basis, the Consumer Marketing Specialist monitors and maintains our brand presence on our social accounts, building relationships with our followers, industry partners and future travellers. This role supports our consumer marketing team with our advertising execution as part of Travel Alberta's integrated marketing programs. Fostering strong relationships with partners, agencies, and team members is critical in the Specialist role.
The Consumer Marketing Specialist will have a strong command of social and advertising platforms, and an understanding of online/emerging platforms. Experience creating and curating high-quality social media content, staying current on digital trends, and driving engagement. This position requires strong working relationships, an eye for numbers and creativity, intellectual curiosity, and proficiency in problem-solving. It is also essential for this role to have exceptional writing and communication skills.
What you need
Your dedication and passion have taken your career to this point, and now it is time to advance to a new level by stepping into Travel Alberta's exciting working environment. Here are the qualifications required to be successful in this role:
- A degree in marketing, communications or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in supporting or leading consumer marketing campaigns across digital and traditional channels
- 3+ years of hands-on experience managing social media advertising in a corporate setting, including the use of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. This includes experience in community management for a brand.
- Confidence in managing multi-faceted projects and oversight of multiple projects concurrently
- Strong understanding of social media publishing standards, content sharing, creation, and adhering to brand standards. Ability to use good judgment in community engagement and issues management on social media
- Excellent written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills, including copywriting for social media and advertising campaigns
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Highly organized and able to prioritize projects with competing deadlines and demands
- Strong understanding and expertise of MS office applications
- Service-oriented with a strong customer focus
- Knowledge of the tourism industry is considered an asset, as is knowledge of Alberta tourism experiences, product, and geography
- The ability to use design software (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) considered an asset
- Ability to occasionally travel throughout Alberta to develop social content, build relationships and expand Travel Alberta's connection to partners
What you'll do
Consumer marketing campaign support and execution
- Supports the development and execution of advertising plans and tactics in alignment with business goals, strategic objectives, and the Travel Alberta brand
- Monitors, tracks, and optimizes campaign performance to ensure delivery is within budget and goals are achieved
- Works closely and builds relationships with our media agency to execute Travel Alberta campaigns globally
- Ensures ad creative has been appropriately tagged, trafficked, tested, and approved for launch across placements and channels
- Seek opportunities for innovation and efficiencies within our marketing campaigns
- Collaborates with our creative agency and in-house content team on all ad unit production and trafficking
- Supports Travel Alberta's consumer campaigns in other aspects and tasks as identified by the Manager, Consumer Marketing
Organic and paid social media planning and execution
- Plans and executes brand-aligned social media across channels, positioning Alberta as a destination of choice for consumers
- Monitors and engages with our social communities across all customer-facing marketing channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, etc.), striving to deliver a consistent and positive experience for all prospective, current and future travellers regionally and globally
- Oversees and engages with comments on promoted posts and paid ads as appropriate
- Develops, manages and executes social media calendars and ad units across Travel Alberta's social media channels
- Autonomy to manage, lead, monitor, and respond to community postings on behalf of Travel Alberta on all consumer-facing social channels, including issues management monitoring and response
- Identifies potential issues and works with the team to manage and respond to such situations quickly and professionally
- Plans and executes multi-market social media calendars and budgets
- Collaborates with the Content team to ensure organic and paid social media plans, initiatives and content are aligned. Proactively brings forward ideas for social content; creates original content according to brand standards, and adapts content for our social platforms
- Collaborates cross-functionally with other Travel Alberta teams and Alberta tourism industry partners to ensure a seamless and timely response to traveller inquiries
- Regularly shares social media content with Alberta partners and the tourism industry at large
- Works with Travel Alberta media, social media, content and marketing teams to create and adapt original content into ad copy for social media platforms
- Ensures Travel Alberta represents all corners of the province and a broad array of tourism experiences in our social media
- Works collaboratively with agency partners to effectively align and execute social media advertising strategies globally
- Works in an independent role that regularly makes decisions with high visibility and organizational reputational consequences
- Measures social media performance, identifies social media consumer insights and provides recommendations for ad optimization to ensure Travel Alberta is delivering the right content to the right consumer at the right time, on the right platform
- Shares insights and social media trends with the broader team as social media marketing continually evolves and changes.
- Continually keeps abreast of social media marketing trends, Destination Canada initiatives, Travel Alberta insights, brand strategy, and market research to assess our social media direction, strategy and competitiveness
Influencer and Creator Community support
- Supports Travel Alberta's Creator Community (Travel Alberta's ambassador program that consists of creators from around the province who are passionate about creating content about Alberta and showcasing it as an exciting and unique destination) through management of timelines, project budgets, deliverables, communications, etc.
- Supports the development and execution of influencer campaigns
- Collaborates with agency partners to execute influencer strategies
- Monitors performance, trends and insights from influencer activations
- Supports the logistics for Influencer and Creator Community content gathering, including preparing itineraries in consultation with tourism industry partners
Relationship building and collaboration
- Works cross-functionally with team members to ensure integration and leverage of all social media and campaigns as related to Travel Alberta's brand strategy and marketing communications platforms
- Builds and maintains relationships with partners and agencies to ensure the introduction of new platforms and tactics, opportunities for new products, understanding of the best practices and optimization opportunities
- Collaborates with the Specialist, Media Relations and Consumer Marketing to ensure both earned and paid media initiatives are aligned and supported
- Works directly managing local and international social media content creators and influencers to support Travel Alberta and industry partners' business goals
- Works collaboratively with Brand and Content and Stakeholder Engagement team to ensure consumer campaigns and corporate key messages are fully integrated
- Participates in inter-departmental and agency partner meetings as required to provide status updates on paid social campaign performance
Closing date: August 3, 2021
This position is based in Calgary, Alberta
Employment status: 18-month term with possibility of extension
This position may require overtime, evening and weekend work, and some travel
Salary: $66,902.00 - $86,925.00 per year
This position offers an excellent benefits package with Sun Life Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long-term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP), have free and confidential access to Sun Life's RightDirections Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and be a part of Travel Alberta's learning and development program to support career development.
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter and resume with the position title and job reference number (2021-016-02) in the subject line of your email to email@example.com.
In the event that a position is posted internally and externally simultaneously, internal candidates will be considered first.