Board Director(s) at the Accounting Standards Oversight Council (AcSOC)
- Financial Reporting & Assurance Standards Canada (FRAS)
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Job Category
- Accounting and Finance
Volunteer Opportunities – Accounting Standards Oversight Council
The Accounting Standards Oversight Council (AcSOC) is looking for four new members. We need prominent members of the Canadian community to protect the public interest by overseeing the activities of the private and public sector standard-setting processes.
AcSOC is an independent, volunteer body established by the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (previously the CICA) in 2000. The Council serves the public interest by overseeing and providing input into the activities of the Accounting Standards Board (AcSB) and the Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB).
Past and present AcSOC members include prominent members of the business, professional and government community, and academia. Current members include regulators, senior lawyers, investors, corporate executives and other users, and preparers and auditors of financial reports.
In general, we are looking for candidates with:
• experience with financial reporting as it relates to public companies, private companies, not-for-profit organizations, and/or government sectors, including Indigenous communities;
• backgrounds either as a financial statement preparer, auditor, audit committee member, business, or investment adviser or with another type of user perspective; and
• experience in change management, people leadership and the application of professional judgment.
In particular, we are currently interested in applications from:
• accountants with user-experience such as lenders, investment managers, rating agencies, etc.; or
• directors who hold an ICD.D designation.
Candidates from Quebec and Eastern Canada are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please note: Candidates are not required to hold a professional accounting designation. At least a third of AcSOC members must be non-accountants.
AcSOC continues to prioritize diversity and inclusion on the Council. Lasting change can only happen if we all take action to address systemic racism and structural inequality, while creating opportunities for underrepresented communities. As such, AcSOC is partnering with BIPOC Executive Search to ensure an applicant list that has greater representation from Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, thereby reflecting Canada’s diverse population. We also encourage nominations for women, 2SLGBTQ+ persons and persons with disabilities. AcSOC encourages all qualified candidates to apply online. Alternatively, apply through the “BIPOC Executive Search” app, which can be downloaded through the Apple Store or Google Play.
We thank everyone for their expression of interest – and are truly appreciative of the time individuals put into applying – but with the limitations of time only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you require a disability related accommodation to participate in our volunteer recruitment process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to work with you to meet your needs as they relate to interviewing for these volunteer positions.
What’s in it for you
• Debate issues of public interest with other prominent members of the Canadian business, professional, and government community.
• Utilize your governance experience by providing guidance and oversight to two highly capable Board Chairs.
• Further develop your strategic thinking capabilities by participating at the leading edge of changes that are underway (ESG, blockchain, non-standard reporting, etc.)
• Learn about the role various organizations play in ensuring investors and the public-at-large can rely on and trust Canadian accounting standard-setting processes.
• Understand the process by which accounting standard are established.
• Recognize the challenges involved in setting standards that apply to both large and small entities, and the implications of these challenges on oversight.
• Take the opportunity to give back, while gaining in-depth knowledge and experience.
• Engage with a diverse group of talented directors.
About the role
• AcSOC typically holds three two-day meetings a year, two of which take place in Toronto and one other in another Canadian city. During the pandemic, the meetings are held online.
• This is a volunteer position that includes travel and other relevant cost reimbursement.
• The working language is English.
Stephenie Fox, FCPA, FCA
Senior Vice President, Financial Reporting & Assurance Standards Canada
+1 416 204 3277
Applications are due by Friday, September 17, 2021
More search results
Director, Student Services
Executive Vice President, Business Development a…
Faculty Position in Environmental Geochemistry
Director, Labour Relations and HR Consulting
University of Victoria
Indigenous Policy Specialist/Coordinator
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing