Development Manager, GTA Urban
- Mattamy Homes Canada
- Vaughan, Ontario
- Job Category
- Engineering, Project Management, Real Estate
- Job Type
Division: GTA Urban
Who We Are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across the United States and Canada. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area, as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
What We Offer
Mattamy is embarking on a journey to take our experience and leadership as a “community builder” to the next level. This role will be instrumental in helping to grow our Greater Toronto Urban division, which will be creating the next generation of mixed-use urban communities.
This opportunity will appeal to a growing development leader who is looking to help influence, develop, and deliver a new high-rise development pipeline that will shape Mattamy’s future across our GTA operations. This role is ideally suited to a real estate development professional with a passion for mixed-use residential development sites and the challenges that such complicated sites, planning approvals, and land deals/partnerships can entail.
The role may focus on entitlement activities for a range of urban projects, from stacked townhouse communities to large and complex multi-tower projects. We are looking for a well-rounded, project-management professional who brings existing consultant and municipal relationships and a track record of delivering on-time and value-added approvals for residentially-focused urban development projects.
- Manage on a day-to-day basis multi-disciplinary consultant and joint venture partner project teams to secure favourable municipal approvals to enable sales launch and construction: official plan amendments, re-zonings, initial site plan applications, etc.
- Actively and continuously collaborate and communicate with various internal departments, ensuring that potential challenges or opportunities to plan, budget, schedule, and/or relationships are proactively identified, communicated, analyzed, and addressed.
- Prepare scheduling, budget, cash flows, and other financial reporting (including packages to joint venture partners) while using the project pro forma as a living day-to-day project management and decision tool.
- Maintain and promote customer/user awareness, ensuring that the specific needs, desires, and aspirations of the ultimate customers/users are considered in decisions.
- Proactively and positively engage with municipal and community stakeholders to advance the entitlement process, working the Mattamy team to identify novel “win-win” scenarios.
- Support Mattamy’s awareness and engagement in current development regulatory regimes, helping Mattamy to work with various levels of government to help influence policy direction.
- Act as one point of contact for joint venture partners, managing the accurate preparation and timely delivery of various reporting materials as well as the regular holding and minuting of partnership meetings.
- Provide input into acquisition opportunities, including local policy/approval context, consultant team engagement, and peer review of acquisition recommendations.
- Co-manage the work of one or more development coordinators/analysts, ensuring both the quality of their work as well as their on-going engagement and professional growth.
- Participate regularly in industry organizations and events, both to remain current on trends as well as to help develop Mattamy’s industry urban brand presence.
What You Bring
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in a real-estate-related field is expected: real estate, urban planning/geography, engineering, business/finance, architecture, landscape architecture, law, etc. An MBA or other advanced real estate education is an asset. Applicants without formal business education should be prepared to demonstrate finance and other business skills/experience gained “on the job.”
- A minimum of 5 years in high-rise residential/mixed-use real estate development, with exposure/progression into management of development projects and associated entitlement approvals.
- Experience in developing residential projects in the City of Toronto and surrounding municipalities, with experience in the local planning approval regulatory/policy framework, associated municipal processes and actors, etc.
- Relationships within the local real estate industry—particularly, consultants and municipal/community/other stakeholders—and an ability to build rapport with diverse group of people, particularly during challenging negotiations.
- Rigorous customer-focus: real empathy for our customers/building users; ensuring decisions are viewed through the perspective of the customer/user; and willingness to advocate for the customer/user in complex decisions.
- Excellent and demonstrable project management skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple projects, relationships, tasks, and deadlines:
- Strategic Execution: developing and driving project strategy; calling on the right people at the right time; challenging the process.
- Communication: professional and proactive internal/external project status, timeline, and financial reporting; integrating well with all internal departments as well as external stakeholders; early detection and effective communication of risks and issues.
- Negotiation: professional experience dealing ethically to resolve issues to maximize financial outcome while still maintaining relationships.
- Relationships: consistently balancing the interests of all stakeholders (internal partners, external partners, consulting partners, municipal staff, political office holders, suppliers, trades, and, most importantly, customers/users).
- Forward Planning and Thinking: particularly with regard to scheduling and resulting impacts on external and internal resources.
- Financial Management: always managing by the numbers and understanding the project’s financial position.
- Technical skills:
- An understanding of:
- the various technical disciplines involved in high-rise residential development, including the ability to review and comment on consultant deliverables, seeing and articulating both obvious as well as non-obvious implications to a project from Mattamy’s multi-faceted perspectives.
- complex regulatory policy documents and associated legal agreements, being able to quickly digest and comment upon them, direct analysis relevant to Mattamy’s business, and formulate and execute nuanced responses.
- Developed spatial skills, being able to identify how drawings relate to various regulatory/technical standards, site statistics, user experience and intended offering, etc.
- A working level of numeracy and financial acumen, being able to understand how complex financial models and concepts may impact our proposed development objectives and vice versa.
- An understanding of:
- Passion and drive for continual improvement and accomplishment, developing industry-leading projects balanced with achieving Mattamy’s schedule and budget objectives.
- Must be self-motivated, independent, and detail-oriented.
- Concise writing and presentation skills are required.
- Proven track record of excelling within a team-oriented and collaborative environment.
We encourage applicants to apply if they meet many, if not all, of the above qualifications.
When you’re part of the Mattamy family, your day to day work has an incredible impact. What we do takes teamwork, and everyone pulls together to give our very best. With a focus on continued growth and industry leadership, exciting career possibilities are waiting for you at Mattamy. Based on the culture we pride ourselves on, we’ve been recognized with external awards as well. Some of our most recent recognition includes:
- Canada’s Best Managed Companies for 2020
- Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2020 & 2019
- Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2021, 2020 & 2019
- Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures for 2017
At Mattamy, we’re passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important aspects of the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues and communities. We offer a workplace that allows our employees to experience exciting possibilities in their career including continuous learning, opportunity for growth, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
We have big plans for our business and our team. Be part of our ambitious future!
Mattamy Asset Management is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.
More search results
Director, Student Services
Executive Vice President, Business Development a…
Faculty Position in Environmental Geochemistry
Director, Labour Relations and HR Consulting
University of Victoria
Indigenous Policy Specialist/Coordinator
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing