Director, External Communications and Brand Management
DIRECTOR, EXTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS AND BRAND MANAGEMENT
Job ID: 3991
Location: Burnaby, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
DIRECTOR, EXTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS AND BRAND MANAGEMENT
Reporting to the VP Communications, the Director, External Communications and Brand Management is responsible for the development and implementation of external communications and marketing strategies and tactics for BC Housing. He/she/they provides leadership to a team of professionals who support the Commission’s strategic objectives through communications planning, media relations, public events, issues management, crisis management, public affairs, brand management, information campaigns, marketing campaigns, and digital engagement, including website strategy and social media. As a member of the Communications leadership team, the Director works closely with the VP in assessing the organization’s strategic communications requirements, developing a broad communications strategy, and providing oversight and quality control of the implementation of communications programs and initiatives that support BC Housing’s Goals and Objectives.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or relevant field.
- Extensive experience in a communications and public affairs environment, preferably in the public sector working with diverse communities and audiences, with specific experience in strategic communications planning, event management, issues management, digital strategy, marketing, public affairs, and stakeholder relations. Considerable experience managing, mentoring, coaching and developing employees.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the Employer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive knowledge of the philosophies, principles and practices of communications planning and program implementation, issues management, public affairs and digital strategy.
- Extensive experience in issues/crisis management with history of successfully handling highly sensitive and complex situations.
- In-depth knowledge of the affordable housing sector and ability to learn the Commission's organization, programs and services and of related legislation and policies.
- Considerable knowledge of current social media and current web design techniques and approaches.
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking, problem solving, project management and organizational skills.
- Strong creative outlook skills.
- Strong consultative, facilitation, consensus building and conflict resolution skills.
- Effective leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to promote and create profile for an organization and key leaders.
- Ability to lead the development and implementation of plans, strategies and programs in a deadline oriented, high profile and demanding environment.
- Ability to establish a high level of rapport with the CEO, Executive and senior management, the Minister’s Office and other partners and stakeholders.
- Ability to use judgment and sensitivity in presenting issues and provide leadership/direction in determining appropriate courses of action.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and creatively, both orally and in writing, within tight time frames.
- Ability to develop innovative ideas and solutions.
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate staff in a team environment.
- Ability to work flexible hours including some evening and/or weekends with occasional travel within the province.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of current trends and best practices in communications relevant to complex organizations, such as through accreditation (APR, SCMP) or other professional development.
Salary Range / Wage Rate: $ 111,160.00 - $ 130,776.00
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We invite and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, People with Disabilities and Disabled People, persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers
More search results
Director, Student Services
Executive Vice President, Business Development a…
Faculty Position in Environmental Geochemistry
Director, Labour Relations and HR Consulting
University of Victoria
Indigenous Policy Specialist/Coordinator
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing