Senior Manager, Internal Controls (Position can be located anywhere in Canada)
Join the Office of the CFO and Corporate Services Team, where we use financial foresight and legal insight to improve housing affordability.
In this position, you will provide strategic leadership and expertise for the research, design, development, implementation and support of the internal control framework (ICF) throughout CMHC with regard to Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR). You will also provide guidance, support, training and internal controls expertise to all CMHC business areas and support functions in their daily activities and as part of strategic initiatives. You will play an integral and critical role in the three lines of defence governance model as a second line of defence function, and supports an enhanced risk and control culture across CMHC.
• Lead the recommendations and expert guidance on internal controls that facilitate continuous improvements, effective risk management, standardization, optimization of processes, control efficiencies and the incorporation of best practices.
• Develop strategies, objectives and plans required to implement and maintain strong governance and internal control effectiveness over operations/reporting/regulations.
• Design and deliver training, mentoring, coaching tools and advice to the first and second lines of defence to foster understanding and achieve increased risk/control understanding and awareness.
• Ensure the alignment of policy, framework and approach; support legal and regulatory requirements; improve reporting, transparency and accountability. Research and keep abreast of regulatory guidance and industry leading practices related to ICFR and ICF in support of CMHC activities.
• Develop an effective ICFR scoping and annual roll-out/oversight plan for the Corporation and coordinate the annual plan with other assurance functions.
• Serve as a member of the Finance Management Team, coordinate ICFR reporting, present results to the FIN-RISK Committee and address questions.
• Develop senior management and Board level attestation and reporting to senior management on the state of CMHC’s internal controls and the progress and resolution of internal control deficiencies, and opine on the effectiveness of CMHC’s system of internal controls.
• Bachelor degree with a concentration in accounting, finance or a business-related field.
• A professional accounting designation (CA, CPA, CG or CMA) and knowledge of the CPA Canada financial and internal control frameworks and the Institute of Internal Auditors’ Professional Practices Framework, including audit techniques and risk management methodologies.
• Ten years of experience in internal controls processes, governance frameworks (COSO) and financial or regulatory environments.
• Five years of management experience with strong leadership, coaching, training and collaboration skills.
• Demonstrated experience implementing or sustaining internal control framework, ICFR or SOX certification with the understanding of financial management governance, oversight, policies and processes including IFRS as well as Treasury Board, OSFI and other related agencies and regulators.
• Ability to manage change, influence behavior, negotiate, persuade and set direction with cross-functional and non-direct reports and external consultants.
• Bilinguisme –speaking & writting (French & English).
• A Master’s degree is considered an asset.
• CIA (Certified Internal Auditor) or CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor) or any other designations are considered an asset.
Posting closing date: Note, the competition may remain active until filled.