LEGAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Job ID: 3986
Location: BURNABY, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
LEGAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Reporting to the Legal Administration Supervisor, the Legal Administrative Assistant is responsible for performing legal administration services relating to the financing and development of new housing units under various government-funded social housing programs. He/she/they has thorough understanding of Land Title practices regarding the preparation and registration of Land Title documents relating to purchase and sale transactions and commercial lending transactions, obtains and reviews various land related searches and corporate searches, prepares correspondence, and drafts simple contracts and various legal documents for review by external legal counsel or internal staff. The incumbent also provides legal administrative support services to internal staff and external counsel. The work requires knowledge of litigation procedures, basic corporate administration procedures and basic accounting.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High school graduation plus successful completion of a legal secretary/paralegal course and courses in real estate which are prerequisites to the academic Legal Administrative Assistant Certificate.
- Considerable Legal Assistant experience in real estate law.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the Employer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Sound knowledge of Legal Administrative Assistant work practices and processes and the workings of a legal office
- Sound knowledge of the documentation process in real property transactions
- Sound knowledge and understanding of BC Land Title office registration requirements
- Sound knowledge and understanding of BC’s Corporations Act and Societies Act
- Working knowledge of matters related to commercial lending transactions, including acquisition loans and construction financing, and land development matters
- Some knowledge of litigation processes
- Ability to learn the Legal Administration Department’s policies and the Commission’s mandate and programs
- Ability to handle both residential and commercial conveyances and financing and to process transactions from start to finish
- Ability to deal with the BC Land Title registration system, land title agents and lending institutions and with the Corporate Registry and Personal Property Security Act Registry
- Ability to set up conveyance filing and administrative systems
- Ability to research and analyze legal issues, provide opinion regarding the application of policies and standards, and draft correspondence, legal documents and agreements
- Ability to manage complex administrative tasks, prioritize large volumes of work, work under pressure, meet deadlines and exercise good judgment in dealing with matters of a confidential nature
- Ability to exercise discretion, tact, diplomacy and good judgment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with solid command of English grammar, punctuation and spelling;
- proficiency in the use of legal terms
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate in a professional, mature and courteous manner with internal stakeholders and external counsel
- Proficiency in the use of word processing, database and spreadsheet software and ability to type at a minimum of 50 wpm.
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We invite and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, People with Disabilities and Disabled People, persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers
More search results
Director, Student Services
Executive Vice President, Business Development a…
Faculty Position in Environmental Geochemistry
Director, Labour Relations and HR Consulting
University of Victoria
Indigenous Policy Specialist/Coordinator
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing