Transportation Enforcement Officer (Punjabi and/or Hindi and/or Urdu Speaking)
- Ministry of Transportation
- Burlington, Oakville, Stoney Creek, Toronto
- $1,274.24 - $1,437.92 Per Week
- Job Category
- Security, Transportation
- Job Type
Do you have a passion for road safety, and for protecting and serving the public? Are you eager to join the front line of commercial vehicle compliance? If so, the Transportation Enforcement Officer is a rewarding career opportunity with the Ministry of Transportation (MTO), an organization that values diversity and inclusion. We are hiring for five (5) Transportation Enforcement Officers across the province with a proficiency in Punjabi, Urdu and/or Hindi oral skills.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this job, you will:
• Interact with members of the public and drivers from diverse backgrounds to promote safe operation of commercial vehicles on the Province's highways
• Perform detailed inspections and examinations of commercial vehicles and verify compliance with legislative requirements
• Enforce the application of those requirements by determining the appropriate action in cases where the drivers and/or vehicles are not in compliance
• Compile reports, gather evidence and information for prosecution, and act as a Crown witness
• Provide information and advice to stakeholders and educate drivers and the public on the legislative requirements and policies related to transportation safety
Note: These positions require working alone or in a team environment on rotating 24/7 shifts, including weekends/statutory holidays. You must be able to conduct inspections of drivers and vehicles, operate weight equipment, utilize ramps and inspect vehicles in all weather conditions.
Locations: Burlington, Oakville, Stoney Creek, Toronto, Whitby
How do I qualify?
• The positions require the successful candidates to have a valid class G driver's licence or equivalent. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver's licence upon being hired.
• You must be able to successfully complete MTO training courses, including defensive tactics and Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) training.
• You must possess oral Punjabi and/or Urdu and/or Hindi language communication skills at the advanced level. Proficiency level will be verified by an Ontario Public Service (OPS)-approved evaluator.
Problem-Solving Skills and Judgement
• You have strong problem-solving skills to identify underlying issues, link issues with regulatory requirements and recommend appropriate corrective measures to address challenging situations
• You can identify and take necessary, appropriate and timely action in response to complex and/or critical issues
• You have judgement to evaluate and consider situational factors to make independent, timely decisions that align with policies, procedures and legislation
Enforcement and Compliance Expertise
• You have experience identifying situations of non-compliance and assessing the associated level of risk to determine appropriate corrective measures to achieve appropriate outcomes
• You can accurately interpret, apply and enforce policies, procedures and legislation, and relay compliance-related information to others
Concern for Quality and Standards
• You have integrity to ensure your actions are consistent with organizational values, policies and codes of conduct
• You are able to monitor and evaluate work quality and processes against policies, standards and regulations
Communication and Relationship Management Skills
• You have oral communication and active listening skills to explain complex policies, procedures and techniques and to help ensure information is understood
• You have written communication skills to accurately document information and prepare reports
• You have experience developing and maintaining harmonious relationships, providing direction to diverse internal and external clients, and responding in an appropriate and professional manner
• You can influence and persuade others to adopt a specific course of action
• You have the ability to identify potential conflicts, facilitate open and constructive dialogue, and proactively address and defuse potential issues
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You are proficient with common office software applications (email, word processing, data entry)
• You have basic mathematical skills to examine records for compliance, and measure and calculate weight limits
OPS commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-public-service-anti-racism-policy > and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ops-inclusion-diversity-blueprint > pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
Salary Range: $1,274.24 - $1,437.92 Per Week
- 1 Permanent, 903 Barton St E, Stoney Creek, West Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Fingerprint Based), Driver's Licence History, Local Police Databases Search
- 1 Permanent, MM 412 Hwy 401 E, Whitby, Central Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Fingerprint Based), Driver's Licence History, Local Police Databases Search
- 1 Permanent, 4145 North Service Rd, Burlington, Central Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Fingerprint Based), Driver's Licence History, Local Police Databases Search
- 1 Permanent, 2064 Kennedy Rd, Toronto, Toronto Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Fingerprint Based), Driver's Licence History, Local Police Databases Search
- 1 Permanent, 1100 QEW E/B, Dorval Dr & Third Line, Oakville, Central Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Fingerprint Based), Driver's Licence History, Local Police Databases Search
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 169227, by Thursday, November 4, 2021. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
More search results
Thompson Rivers University
Director, Student Engagement and Learning Services
Director, Enrolment Services & Registrar
School Social Worker - Community Care Team (Indig…
York Region District School Board
Career with York Region District School Board (va…
York Region District School Board