Job ID: 4024
Location: BURNABY, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
Reporting to the Manager, Business Applications Development or Manager, IT Programs, the Application Developer is responsible for analyzing, designing, developing, testing, and maintaining software applications to support the achievement of business objectives. He/She/They researches, documents, and modifies software throughout the system life cycle. The incumbent works closely with internal departments to provide technical support to the end user community and resolve system performance issues.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or Engineering from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Considerable development experience in small to medium projects, IT solutions and services, designing operational reporting applications, interacting with project managers, business analysts, as well as technical resources such as application development team members and users, and complete lifecycle application development projects.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to identify, diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve technical issues.
- Ability to take ownership of tasks and drive them through to completion; thrives when working under pressure to meet changing deadlines due to shifting priorities.
- Ability to effectively create and update technical and user manual documentation using good technical writing skills.
- Ability to work either independently and/ or part of a cross functional software development team.
- Ability to generate and articulate new ideas; adapt effectively to new technologies.
- Ability to deal with confidential information using good judgement and discretion.
- Ability to present information effectively during presentations, demonstrations and project meetings.
- Sound knowledge and familiarity with the following software and languages:
For Java focused positions:
- Experience with Eclipse IDE, Ant, Maven, JDeveloper and Oracle WebLogic Server
- Designing and developing operational reports such as Oracle BI Publisher
- Application testing and debugging using Junit, Log4J and Java debugger
- Source control and branching software such as Visual Studio Team Foundation Service or Azure DevOps
- JAVA EE, EJB, XML, JSP, JSF, Servlets, and Struts
- Oracle PL-SQL
- Oracle ADF
- Web Standards/Specifications, e.g. RESTful / Web API, MS Graph API
For .Net focused positions:
- Azure Services such as Azure SQL, Azure Storage, Web App /services, Logic Apps, Power Platform,
- SharePoint Online and Dynamics 365
- Designing and developing operational reports using Crystal Reports or Power BI
- Source control and branching software such as Microsoft Team Foundation or Azure DevOps
- MS SQL, experience with Azure SQL service is beneficial but not required
- Web Standards/Specifications, e.g. RESTful / Web API, MS Graph API
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We invite and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, Persons with Disabilities and Disabled People, persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers